Ohio's Peden Stadium, was named after former Bobcat head coach Don Peden. A coach and director of athletics at Ohio University for 27 years, he was one of the founders of the Mid-American Conference and a national force in intercollegiate athletics, especially football and baseball.
The stadium, then known as the Ohio University's Athletic Plant, was built in 1929 with two side units that seated 12,000 people. In 1986, major renovations enlarged the permanent seating capacity to 19,000. The stadium, in it's original form, was built at a cost of $185,000 and was dedicated in 1929 with a 14-0 victory over Miami. As Ohio's coach from 1924-46, Peden led his teams to 121 wins in 178 games, a record that still stands as the school's best.
In 2001, a $2.8 million project removed the track, lowered the playing surface and increased the capacity to 24,000. Approximately 2,000 lower-level, bleacherback seats - called the Phillips Club - were added to bring fans closer to the action. Landscaping enhancements created seating for the Marching 110 at the north end zone and Victory Hill, a grass berm for overflow seating, at the south end of the field.
A FieldTurf surface was installed in 2002, and in 2003, an upgraded scoreboard featuring a large video screen for replays and graphics was added.
In its 77th season hosting the Bobcats, the stadium underwent an ambitious makeover in 2005. The athletic training facility was renovated and expanded to include a state-of-the-art hydrotherapy room. Meeting space on the second floor was expanded and improved. Each position group meets in their own individual meeting room that is outfitted with the football industry's most advanced and innovative digital video technology to better assist in the areas of scouting, game film analysis and game preparation. A large team auditorium where the entire team can gather and be addressed by Coach Solich was built to aid in communication between players and coaches.
Beyond the improvements made to the second floor team meeting rooms, a complete renovation occurred on the fifth floor housing the football offices. The layout of the floor was completely altered and re-planned. Offensive and defensive coaches conference rooms were added, an internal film viewing system was incorporated and the addition of a recruiting lounge overlooking the stadium were features of this project.
The stadium's tower, built in phases from 1989 to 1992, houses the football offices, athletic training facilities, team meeting rooms and the athletics department's academic services division.
The Phillips Academic Services Center is located on the fourth floor of the tower. This space, equipped with a large classroom, two computer labs, multiple tutoring rooms and the staff office of Athletic Academic Services allows Bobcat student-athletes access to the finest in academic assistance and support.
In addition to the stadium itself, the facility also contains locker rooms for the football, track, and field hockey programs, plus equipment and training rooms. The Carin Center, Ohio's strength and conditioning facility, was dedicated on Nov. 12, 1999.