Oct. 25, 2007
ATHENS, Ohio -
Freshman swimmer Amanda Traylor (Los Alamitos, Calif.) sits down to talk about the upcoming season and give her initial impressions of Ohio and the city of Athens.
1) What are your impressions of Athens and the university so far?
Athens is beautiful. I love the small college town feel. Even though it is such a small town, there is always something to do.
2) You're from California, why did you decide to come all the way to Ohio?
I respect the coaches and the team here very much. I believe the swimming program fits me well. I also came for a new experience and to meet new people.
3) How has the adjustment from California to Athens been?
Although I can't get away with wearing shorts and sandals all year, I am very comfortable here. I feel at home already. It will be interesting to go home and see how white I have become compared to all my friends who are in the sun everyday.
4) What are some of your goals in college both academically and athletically?
I want to achieve an accumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher, hopefully making it onto the dean's list. Athletically, I want to make the finals in the MAC Championships and qualify and compete at the NCAAs.
5) What is your major? Do you have any ideas for what you would like to do in four years when you graduate?
I have decided to major in exercise physiology and hope to be accepted into graduate school for physical therapy.
6) After a successful season last year, what is the team looking to do this season?
This season, our biggest goal is to win the MAC.
7) What are some of your interests outside of swimming?
In the free time left from swimming I enjoy hanging out with friends, going to concerts, and when I'm at home I like hanging out at the beach.
8) What has been your favorite thing about the team thus far?
I couldn't ask for better teammates. Everyone has been so great and I wouldn't want to spend four hours a day with anyone else.
9) You are one of seven incoming freshmen, have you all had time to bond yet?
We have all become very close already. We took a camping trip last month, which gave us time to get to know each other. We spend almost all our free time together.
10) What was your favorite memory from your high school swim team and why?
When we won back-to-back league championships my junior and senior year. It had been over ten years since my high school's swim team had won.
10.1) If you could only bring three things with you to a deserted island what would they be?
I would have to bring my sister, an unlimited supply of Godiva chocolate, and my ipod.