Senior third baseman John Adryan singled for the Ohio baseball team in an 8-2 setback to West Division foe Central Michigan on Friday (May 6) in the MAC weekend series opener at Bob Wren Stadium in Athens, Ohio.
May 6, 2016
Box Score (HTML) | Box Score (PDF)
FINAL: Central Michigan 8, Ohio 2 -- Athens, Ohio (Bob Wren Stadium)
OHIO STARTERS: Manny De Jesus (CF), Ty Black (2B), Mitch Longo (LF), Rudy Rott (1B), Cody Gaertner (C), John Adryan (3B), Spencer Ibarra (RF), Nate Squires (DH), Tyler Finkler (SS), Jake Miller (P)
CENTRAL MICHIGAN STARTERS: Alex Borglin (1B), Ryan Heeke (RF), Zach McKinstry (SS), Daniel Jipping (LF), Dazon Cole (CF), Jason Sullivan (2B), Adam Collins (DH), Morgan Oliver (3B), Robert Greenman (C), Sean Renzi (P)
The Ohio baseball team (20-24, 5-11 MAC) was limited to one hit in an 8-2 setback to West Division foe Central Michigan (13-32, 7-9 MAC) on Friday (May 6) in the Mid-American Conference weekend series opener at Bob Wren Stadium in Athens, Ohio.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Bobcats and the Chippewas combined for five errors.
• Ohio notched two runs on one hit and six walks.
• Senior third baseman John Adryan (Delran, N.J.) recorded the Bobcats' lone base hit of the night -- a single to right to lead off the fourth inning.
• Senior center fielder Manny De Jesus (Caguas, Puerto Rico), freshman first baseman Rudy Rott (Holmen, Wis.) and redshirt junior designated hitter Nate Squires (Plain City, Ohio) each drew two walks for Ohio.
• Senior right-handed starting pitcher Jake Miller (Westerville, Ohio) struck out four while allowing five runs -- three of which were earned -- on nine hits and two walks. He suffered the loss on the mound, dropping to 2-8 on the year.
• Redshirt sophomore southpaw reliever Gerry Salisbury (Brunswick, Ohio) gave up three runs -- one of which was earned -- on two hits and two walks over two innings. He fanned two.
• Sophomore right-hander Logan Jacik (Omaha, Neb.) pitched two scoreless innings of relief. He surrendered one walk.
• Senior right-handed starting pitcher Sean Renzi weaved a one-hitter for the Chippewas en route to earning the pitching win that improved him to 5-5 on the year. He fanned five over eight frames -- the last seven of which were scoreless. He allowed two unearned runs on a hit and six walks.
• Senior left-handed reliever Jimmy McNamara pitched a perfect ninth inning for Central Michigan.
• Junior first baseman Alex Borglin and sophomore left fielder Daniel Jipping each went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored to lead the Chippewas at the plate.
• Redshirt freshman center fielder Dazon Cole went 3-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI for Central Michigan.
• Ohio jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. De Jesus drew a leadoff walk, then advanced to third on a Central Michigan miscue that allowed sophomore second baseman Ty Black (Waynesville, Ohio) to reach on a fielder's choice. A dropped fly ball allowed junior left fielder Mitch Longo (Mayfield, Ohio) to reach safely and De Jesus to score from third. After advancing to third on a ground out by Rott, Black tagged up and scored on a sacrifice fly to right by redshirt senior catcher Cody Gaertner (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
• The Chippewas evened the score with two runs in the third. Junior catcher Robert Greenman was hit by a pitch to lead off the frame. Borglin followed with a base hit through the right side. After senior right fielder Ryan Heeke laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Greenman and Borglin into scoring position and sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry drew a walk, Greenman tagged up and scored from third on a sacrifice fly to left by Jipping. McKinsty stole second, then Dazon singled to third to allow Borglin to score the tying run.
• Central Michigan took the lead with two more runs in the fourth. Junior designated hitter Adam Collins sent a leadoff single back up the middle. Senior third baseman Morgan Oliver put down a sacrifice bunt but wound up reaching first safely on an Ohio error. A sacrifice bunt by Greenman allowed Collins and Oliver to move into scoring position. Collins tagged up from third and scored the go-ahead run by way of a sacrifice fly to center by Borglin. Heeke then singled to center to drive in Oliver and extend the Chippewas' lead to 4-2.
• The Central Michigan advantage swelled to 5-2 in the fifth as Jipping led off with a single through the right side, advanced to third on a double to center by Cole and then scored on an RBI base hit to center by freshman second baseman Jason Sullivan.
• Another Ohio error in the sixth allowed the Chippewas' lead to grow to 7-2. Heeke coaxed a leadoff walk, and McKinstry followed with a single back to the mound. Both advanced 90 feet on a passed ball, then scored on an Ohio miscue that put Jipping on base safely.
• Central Michigan plated its final run in the seventh. Oliver drew a one-out walk, then advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored one out later on a base hit back up the middle by Borglin.
Ohio will try to even the weekend series with Central Michigan on Saturday (May 7) at The Wren. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET. The contest was originally slated to get underway at 3 p.m. ET but was moved up due to rain in the forecast in the late afternoon and early evening hours. Junior right-hander Jake Rudnicki (Toledo, Ohio) gets the start on the hill for the Bobcats while junior southpaw Nick Deeg will toe the rubber from the Chippewas.