Redshirt senior catcher Cody Gaertner went 5-for-7 with a pair of home runs and four runs scored, but the Ohio baseball team lost to MAC West Division foe Central Michigan, 13-11, in 13 innings in the weekend series rubber match on Sunday (May 8) at Bob Wren Stadium in Athens, Ohio.
May 8, 2016
Box Score (HTML) | Box Score (PDF)
FINAL: Central Michigan 13, Ohio 11 (13 innings) -- Athens, Ohio (Bob Wren Stadium)
OHIO STARTERS: Manny De Jesus (CF), Ty Black (2B), Mitch Longo (LF), Rudy Rott (1B), Cody Gaertner (C), John Adryan (3B), Tony Giannini (RF), Nate Squires (DH), Tyler Finkler (SS), Connor Sitz (P)
CENTRAL MICHIGAN STARTERS: Alex Borglin (1B), Ryan Heeke (LF), Zach McKinstry (SS), Daniel Jipping (DH), Dazon Cole (CF), Jason Sullivan (2B), Daniel Robinson (RF), Jarrod Watkins (3B), Robert Greenman (C), Patrick Leatherman (P)
The Ohio baseball team (21-25, 6-12 MAC) lost to Mid-American Conference West Division foe Central Michigan (14-33, 8-10 MAC), 13-11, in 13 innings in the weekend series rubber match on Sunday (May 8) at Bob Wren Stadium in Athens, Ohio.
The Chippewas posted an 8-2 win in the series opener on Friday (May 6). Ohio bounced back on Saturday (May 7) with a 5-4 victory in 14 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Ohio and Central Michigan combined for 24 runs, 39 hits and 31 runners left on base and utilized the services of a combined 11 pitchers.
• After playing a four hour and 20 minute game on Saturday, the Bobcats and Chippewas played another marathon contest on Sunday that lasted four hours and 54 minutes.
• The loss spoiled a huge game by redshirt senior catcher Cody Gaertner (Pittsburgh, Pa.), who went 5-for-7 with a pair of home runs and four runs scored.
• Sophomore right fielder Tony Giannini (Carmel, Ind.) finished 3-for-6 with a double, two RBIs and two runs scored.
• Redshirt junior designated hitter Nate Squires (Plain City, Ohio) tallied three singles, drew two walks, drove in a run and scored a run.
• Senior center fielder Manny De Jesus (Caguas, Puerto Rico) went 3-for-6 with two walks and two runs scored.
• Junior left fielder Mitch Longo (Mayfield, Ohio) collected three singles, walked and scored a run.
• Freshman first baseman Rudy Rott (Holmen, Wis.) singled twice, drove in two runs and scored another.
• Junior second baseman Ty Black (Waynesville, Ohio) finished with two hits and drove in a run.
• Junior shortstop Tyler Finkler (Olmsted Falls, Ohio) singled and plated three runs.
• Senior right-handed starting pitcher Connor Sitz (Westerville, Ohio) allowed five earned runs on five hits and two walks over 4.2 innings. He struck out two.
• Junior righty Tom Colletti (Wheaton, Ill.) worked 1.1 innings of relief, giving up four runs -- three of which were earned -- on five hits and a walk.
• Redshirt sophomore southpaw reliever Gerry Salisbury (Brunswick, Ohio) tossed 1.2 scoreless frames, fanning one. He permitted one hit and two walks.
• Redshirt senior righty Eddie Fitzpatrick (North Attleboro, Mass.) logged 4.2 innings on the mound, striking out one while allowing four earned runs on six hits and four walks. He suffered the pitching defeat, falling to 1-2 on the year.
• Sophomore right-hander Logan Jacik (Omaha, Neb.) walked one in 0.2 innings of relief.
• Freshman right fielder David Robinson went 3-for-7 with three RBIs and a run scored for Central Michigan.
• Freshman third baseman Jarrod Watkins recorded three hits, an RBI and two runs scored for the Chippewas.
• Sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry finished 2-for-4 with two walks, three RBIs and two runs scored for Central Michigan.
• Sophomore designated hitter Daniel Jipping doubled, singled, walked, drove in three runs and scored two more for the Chippewas.
• Freshman second baseman Jason Sullivan logged two singles, a walk and three runs scored for Central Michigan.
• Junior catcher Robert Greenman went 2-for-3 with a walk, two RBIs and a run scored for the Chippewas.
• Junior first baseman Alex Borglin tripled and drew three walks for Central Michigan.
• Senior left fielder Ryan Heeke singled, walked twice and scored a run for the Chippewas.
• Redshirt freshman right-hander Pat Leatherman got the start on the mound for Central Michigan, permitting three earned runs on six hits and two walks in four frames. He struck out two.
• Senior southpaw Jimmy McNamara gave up three runs -- two of which were earned -- on one hit for the Chippewas.
• Freshman righty Michael Brettell allowed two runs -- one of which was earned -- on three hits and a walk. He struck out one in 0.1 innings for Central Michigan.
• Sophomore right-handed reliever Colton Bradley struck out one while giving up one earned run on four hits and a walk in two innings for the Chippewas.
• Junior lefty Brady Williams surrendered a hit in 0.2 innings of relief for Central Michigan.
• Senior right-hander Morgan Oliver gave the Chippewas six innings of relief, permitting two earned runs on seven hits and three walks. He fanned four and picked up the pitching win to improve to 1-1 on the season.
• The Bobcats grabbed a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first as De Jesus moved a leadoff walk, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Black and then scored the game's first run one out later on a single to right center by Rott.
• Ohio extended its lead to 3-0 with two more runs in the bottom of the fourth. Gaertner led off with a solo shot to left. One out later, Giannini doubled off the wall in left, then moved up to third on a base hit to short by Squires. Finkler appeared to have hit his second home run of the weekend, giving the ball a ride to the wall left. Heeke was able to make the catch and rob him of a home run, but the fly ball was enough for Giannini to tag up and score from third to make it a three-run lead for the Bobcats.
• Central Michigan changed the tone of the game with a five-run fifth. Sullivan got it started with a single to center, then advanced to second on a ground out by Robinson. Watkins then singled to center to put runners on the corners for the Chippewas. Greenman singled down the left field to bring home Sullivan. A sacrifice bunt by Borglin allowed both Watkins and Greenman to move into scoring position. After Heeke drew a walk, McKinstry hit a two-RBI base hit to center to plate both Watkins and Greenman and tie the game. Central Michigan then took a 5-3 lead on a base hit to center by Jipping that brought around Heeke and McKinstry.
• Ohio retaliated with five runs of its own in the home half of the frame to take an 8-5 lead. Longo hit a leadoff single through the left side, then Rott followed by being hit by a pitch and Gaertner reached on a fielding error on his sacrifice bunt to load the bases with Bobcats with nobody out. Giannini cashed in on the opportunity one out later single through the left side that scored both Longo and Rott. Squires drew a walk to reload the bases, setting the table for Finkler's two-RBI single to left center that drove in Gaertner and Giannini and put the Bobcats back in front, 7-5. The Bobcats extended their lead to three runs after De Jesus drew a walk to load the bases once again and Black served up a sacrifice fly to left that allowed Squires to tag up and score from third.
• The Chippewas responded with two runs in the ensuing frame to make it a one-run game. Sullivan and Robinson led off with back-to-back singles to left. After both moved into scoring position by way of a sacrifice bunt by Watkins, Greenman plated Sullivan with a single to left and Robinson scored on a fielding error on the play.
• Ohio made the score 9-7 in the sixth when Gaertner legged out a leadoff base hit to second, advanced to second out later on a single to left by Giannini and then scored on a base hit to right by Squires.
• Central Michigan refused to go away though, scoring two runs in the top of the seventh to even the score at nine-all. McKinstry drew a leadoff walk and scored on a double right by Jipping to make it a one-run ballgame again. After a sacrifice bunt by redshirt freshman center fielder Dazon Cole moved Jipping to third, the Chippewas tied the game one out later on an RBI single to center by Robinson that scored Jipping.
• Neither team could break the deadlock in the eighth or ninth, sending the contest to extras. Central Michigan snatched a 10-9 lead in the top of the 10th when Watkins reached on a leadoff single to short, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by senior catcher Dylan Goodwin and scored one out later on a double to left center by McKinstry.
• Gaertner tied the game for Ohio in the home half of the 10th with his second leadoff solo home run of the day -- this one a shot over the right field wall.
• Central Michigan took a 13-10 lead in the top of the 13th. Jipping drew a one-out walk, then advanced to third on a double to left center by Cole. After Sullivan drew an intentional walk, Robinson singled to center to bring home both Jipping and Cole. Sullivan then scored the third run of the frame on an RBI base hit down the left field line by Watkins.
• The Bobcats got a run back in the bottom of the 13th as De Jesus hit a leadoff single to center and scored two outs later on a single to right by Rott. Unfortunately for Ohio, that's the final run it managed to score as the Chippewas closed out the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
• Ohio is now 2-4 in extra innings in 2016. The Bobcats played back-to-back extra-inning games against the same opponent for the first time since a doubleheader against Bowling Green on May 11, 2013, at Bob Wren Stadium, when Ohio recorded a 4-3 win in 10 innings in the first game, then fell to the Falcons by a 7-2 score in the second game of the twin bill.
• Ohio has recorded at least 10 hits 23 times this season -- including four of the last five games -- and has logged at least 20 hits three times.
• Gaertner totaled his 15th multi-hit game of the year and eighth multi-RBI effort of the season, which ranks third on the team.
• Giannini posted his seventh multi-hit game of the season -- including four contests with at least three hits. He drove in multiple runs for the fifth time this year.
• Squires notched his fifth multi-hit game of the year -- including his second with at least three hits.
• Longo now owns a team-high 22 multi-hit games this season -- including his team-high seventh with at least three hits.
• De Jesus has now notched 16 mult-hit efforts this year, which is tied for second on the squad. He has posted at least three hits in a game six times.
• Rott recorded his 16th multi-hit game of the season, which is tied for second on the squad, and also tallied his team-high 12th multi-RBI contest of the year.
• Black now has 14 multi-hit contests this year.
• Finkler has now recorded three outings with multiple RBIs this year.
Ohio plays its final midweek game of the 2016 season on Tuesday (May 10) at Bob Wren Stadium, playing host to rival Marshall (27-17) in a 6 p.m. ET contest. The Bobcats took down the Thundering Herd, 4-1, March 9 in Huntington, W. Va., in the first meeting of the season between the two squads.
Marshall clinched a spot in the Conference USA tournament for the first time since 2010 after sweeping UAB this weekend. The Herd recorded a 5-1 win on Friday, a 4-3 victory in 11 innings on Saturday and a 9-5 victory on Sunday.