Senior center fielder Manny De Jesus went 2-for-4 with a double, but the Ohio baseball team suffered a 6-0 loss to West Division foe Western Michigan on Friday (May 13) in the opening game of the Mid-American Conference weekend series at Robert J. Bobb Stadium at Hyames Field in Kalamazoo, Mich.
May 13, 2016
Box Score (HTML) | Box Score (PDF)
FINAL: Western Michigan 6, Ohio 0 -- Kalamazoo, Mich. (Robert J. Bobb Stadium at Hyames Field)
OHIO STARTERS: Manny De Jesus (CF), Ty Black (2B), Mitch Longo (LF), John Adryan (3B), Cody Gaertner (C), Rudy Rott (1B), Tony Giannini (RF), Nate Squires (DH), Tyler Finkler (SS), Michael Klein (P)
WESTERN MICHIGAN STARTERS: Nick Vogelmeier (2B), Connor Smith (SS), Grant Miller (3B), Hunter Prince (1B), Evan Nelson (DH), Jesse Forestell (LF), Alex Goodwin (RF), Mitchell Ho (C), Tanner Allison (CF), Keegan Akin (P)
The Ohio baseball team (21-26, 6-13 MAC) suffered a 6-0 loss to West Division foe Western Michigan (16-28, 9-10 MAC) on Friday (May 13) in the opening game of the Mid-American Conference weekend series at Robert J. Bobb Stadium at Hyames Field in Kalamazoo, Mich.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Broncos outhit the Bobcats, 14-5.
• Senior center fielder Manny De Jesus (Caguas, Puerto Rico) went 2-for-4 with a double to lead the Bobcats at the plate.
• Redshirt sophomore right-handed starting pitcher Michael Klein (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) took the loss on the mound for Ohio, falling to 3-3 on the year. He struck out two while allowing six earned runs on 12 hits and a walk over six innings.
• Sophomore right-hander Logan Jacik (Omaha, Neb.) and redshirt senior righty Eddie Fitzpatrick (North Attleboro, Mass.) combined to throw two scoreless innings out of the bullpen for the Bobcats. Each struck out one while giving up a hit and a walk in one inning of work.
• Western Michigan received a complete-game effort from junior southpaw starting pitcher Keegan Akin, who fanned eight while permitting five hits over nine scoreless frames of work. He improved to 5-3 on the season.
• Freshman shortstop Connor Smith and junior Alex Goodwin each tallied three singles to lead the Broncos' offense.
• Senior first baseman Hunter Prince and junior second baseman Nick Vogelmeier each singled twice and scored a run for Western Michigan.
• Junior third baseman Grant Miller tripled and drove in two runs for the Broncos.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
• De Jesus has now notched 17 mult-hit efforts this year, which ranks second on the squad.
Ohio will try to even the MAC weekend series on Saturday (May 14) when it battles Western Michigan in a 1 p.m. ET contest. Junior righty Jake Rudnicki (Toledo, Ohio) will start on the hill for the Bobcats and oppose senior right-hander Pat Haynes of the Broncos.