Nov. 9, 2007
Recap | Box Score | Quotes
2007-08 Ohio Basketball
Game Notes vs. New Mexico State
Friday, November 9, 2007
Convocation Center - Athens, Ohio
- The teams were whistled for a combined six fouls in the first four minutes.
- NMSU lead 10-5 at the first media timeout (15:46), and had scores from four-different players.
- Jerome Tillman recorded five of Ohio's first seven points.
- Williams was whistled for his third foul at 13:02.
- NMSU made six of its first nine field goal attempts, including three treys ... Ohio started 4-of-9.
- Each team had committed seven turnovers by the 10:30 mark.
- Ohio went on a 9-4 run from 14:40 to tie the game at 14-14 at 9:09.
- At the under-8 media timeout (6:50), NMSU held a 17-9 rebounding advantage.
- A Bubba Walther three-pointer at 4:45 gave Ohio its first lead (25-22) since he scored the first points of the game (2-0) at 19:44 ... That score capped an 11-3 Ohio run that spanned 2:23 on the clock.
- NMSU went on an 8-0 run in 1:46 to take a 32-27 lead with 1:33 remaining.
- Ohio scored the last eight points of the half.
At the Half: Ohio 35, New Mexico State 32
- NMSU's Justin Hawkins led all scorers with 13 points ... Tillman led Ohio with nine.
- Hawkins led all rebounders with six ... Tillman led Ohio with seven.
- NMSU shot 41.4% (12-of-29) ... Ohio shot 40.6% (13-of-32).
- NMSU had a 24-17 advantage in rebounds.
- Ohio had a 9-4 edge in points off the bench.
- NMSU's largest lead was seven points at 15:15 ... Ohio's largest lead was three.
- Tied 40-40 at 17:28, Ohio went on a 14-4 in a span of 2:24 to take its first double-digit lead of the game - 54-44 - and force an NMSU timeout at 14:40 ... During the run, Bert Whittington IV and Tillman each made two three-pointers.
- From 14:21 to 6:10 NMSU went on a 22-11 run to regain the lead at 66-65 for the first time since the first half ... Martin Iti had eight points for NMSU during the run ... NMSU held Ohio to just three field goals in that stretch.
- Williams fouled out with 4:57 remaining.
- With a layup at 4:43, NMSU's Jonathan Gibson scored his 13th and 14th points of the game, surpassing his previous career-high of 13.
- Tied 70-70 at 3:52, Ohio outscored NMSU 10-2 to close out the game
- Gibson fouled out with 36.9 remaining.
Final: Ohio 80, New Mexico State 72
- Ohio is now 2-1 all-time versus NMSU.
- Ohio is now 67-34 all-time in season-openers and 80-21 in home openers.
- Ohio had four players reach double figures in scoring.
- Tillman led all scorers with 20 points ... Hawkins led NMSU with 19.
- Hawkins led all rebounders with 11 ... Tillman had eight to lead Ohio.
- For Ohio, Justin Orr and Whittington made their Bobcat debuts while Tommy Freeman and DeVaughn Washington made their collegiate debuts.
- Wendell McKines, Chris Cole, Paris Carter and JayDee Luster made their debuts as Aggies.