Roster  |  Schedule  |  News  |  History
Bobcats Upended By Winthrop, 50-49

Reggie Keely

Dec. 15, 2012

Box Score |  Quotes

ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio University men's basketball team (7-3) saw its 16-game home winning streak come to an end Saturday afternoon, as the Winthrop Eagles escaped the Convocation Center with a 50-49 victory.

Trailing 47-42 with 3:31 remaining in the game, the Bobcats rallied to tie the score at 49 with less than a minute to play, but a free throw by the Eagles' Derrick Henry with 4.7 seconds remaining sealed the victory for Winthrop.

Senior forward Reggie Keely (University Heights, Ohio) led the Bobcats with 14 points, while senior guard D.J. Cooper (Chicago, Ill.) added eight points, all in the second half, and three assists.

Ohio limited Winthrop to just 32.7 percent shooting (16-49) from the floor, but could not overcome a 36.0 percent (18-50) effort on the offensive end. The Bobcats outscored the Winthrop bench, 31-7, for the contest, but committed a season-high 18 turnovers in the game.

The two teams played to a 7-7 tie in the first eight minutes of action, before Ohio used a 5-0 run to build a 12-7 advantage at the 12:04 mark of the opening half. A nice finish from Keely kept the Bobcats in front by five at 16-11, but the Eagles responded with a 6-0 run to take a 17-16 lead with 5:30 to play in the half.

Sophomore guard Stevie Taylor knocked down a 3-pointer to put Ohio back in front by three (21-18) and the Bobcats took a 25-20 lead into the break after a late lay-in by Keely.

Keely posted 12 of the Bobcats 25 first-half points and made all six of his field goal attempts. The Bobcats shot 45.8 percent from the field (11-24) in the half and limited the Eagles to a 31.8 percent mark (7-22), including a 1-for-8 performance from 3-point territory (.125).

Winthrop scored the first nine points of the second half to build a 29-25 advantage, before the streak was broken by a three-point play by junior guard Ricardo Johnson at the 15:26 mark. A 3-pointer by Andre Smith gave Winthrop its largest lead of the game (35-28), before triples by junior guard Nick Kellogg and junior forward T.J. Hall moved the Bobcats back within two at 38-36 with 10:59 remaining in the contest.

The Eagles led by five (49-44) with 2:57 to play in the game until Cooper connected on a 3-pointer to cut the advantage to two. Cooper would then go on to tie the game at 49 apiece on a turn-around lay-in with 35 seconds to go.

On the next Winthrop possession, Henry was fouled with less than five seconds remaining on the clock and connected on one of two free throws. Cooper's last second 3-pointer was no good and the Eagles came away with the 50-49 victory.

The Bobcats return to action on Wednesday (Dec. 19) with a road contest against the University of Massachusetts. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.