Roster  |  Schedule  |  News  |  History
Cooper's Career Night Not Enough, 'Cats Fall in Quadruple Overtime, 112-107

Dec. 18, 2010

Box Score

OLEAN, N.Y. - D.J. Cooper scored a career-high 43 points, while adding 13 assists, eight rebounds and eight steals but Ohio dropped one of its longest games in program history, 112-107 in quadruple overtime at St. Bonaventure this afternoon.

Cooper's 43 points were the most since Gary Trent scored 46 in a home win against Bowling Green back on February 19, 1994. The 41 field goal attempts were the most ever by a Bobcat, breaking the record that had stood since 1957. The 13 assists and eight steals were each career-highs and second-best all-time in a game by an Ohio player. His 41 shot attempts were the most by a Division I player in 15 years.

The four overtimes were the most played by Ohio since a 60-minute contest against Akron on January 8, 2003. The Bobcats won that game, 112-104.

Tommy Freeman added 17 points and three steals while Ivo Baltic added 13 points and tied his career-high with nine rebounds. The 219 combined points scored were the most in an Ohio game since a 122-121 double-overtime win against Central Michigan back on February 5, 1998. Ohio's 40 field goals were its most since a game on December 27, 2001 against Long Island, a 110-57 Bobcat win.

The game was not only the longest in Ohio history, but also the longest game in Reilly Center and St. Bonaventure history. In total, four players fouled out for Ohio and the Bobcats were whistled for 16 more fouls than the home team and shot 24 free throws as opposed to 48 for the Bonnies.

Andrew Nicholson finished with 44 points and 12 rebounds for the Bonnies, Demetrius Conger added 23 points and 12 rebounds, Michael Davenport had 19 points and eight rebounds and Ogo Adegboye chipped in with 13.

Ohio fell behind 5-0 before rattling off 11 points of its own, getting five from Freeman and two points each from Cooper, Ricardo Johnson and T.J. Hall. However, St. Bonaventure scored 10 of the next 12 points to retake the lead at 15-13 on a jumper by Davenport.

Another Davenport jumper with just under three minutes until halftime gave the Bonnies their largest lead of the half at 35-26, forcing a timeout by the 'Cats. Ohio responded with a 10-1 run of its own, culminating in a layup from Adetunji Adedipe with seven-tenths of a second remaining in the half. That bucket sent things to the locker room evened up, 36-36.

Cooper finished with 14 points in the half and led all scorers and the Bobcats went 12 of 13 at the line to make up for shooting 37.9 percent from the field, including 2 of 12 from beyond the arc.

With 6:14 remaining in the second half, Da'quan Cook scored on a layup to match the largest deficit of the game for Ohio at 69-59. A quick dunk by DeVaughn Washington and a three by Freeman sliced the margin in half on the next two possessions.

An Adegboye layup after a conventional three-point play by Cooper pushed the lead back to five at 75-70 with 1:48 to go. On the next Ohio possession, Baltic followed up a miss to make it 75-72 and after two-consecutive stops, Cooper tied the game with a long three and 22 seconds showing on the clock.

The Bobcats were able to mount one more defensive stand, forcing Davenport to miss a three that would have won the game. The Bonnies shot 66.7 percent in the second half, sticking to the game plan of finding Nicholson. In regulation, the big man had 29 points on 10 of 12 shooting. Meanwhile, Cooper had racked up 27 points and 10 assists during the first 40 minutes.

In the first overtime, Nicholson made one of two free throws for a two-point SBU lead with 29 seconds left. The miss on the second try allowed Reggie Keely to snag the rebound and find a streaking Cooper who went the distance to tie the game with 17 seconds left. After an Ohio foul, Conger missed two free throws with three seconds showing and the game headed to a second overtime.

Ohio's best chance in the extra frames came in the second overtime when Asown Sayles buried a three with 37 seconds left. Out of a timeout, Davenport slipped free from a defender and tied the game with 21 seconds remaining. Ohio drew up a play that had Hall take it to the basket. However, the ball was knocked away and no shot was registered.

The fatigue showed in the third overtime where only one field goal was registered. After a Keely jumper early on had given Ohio a two-point lead, another foul was called on Ohio, this time with 30 second left. Conger connected on both tries this time to tie the game, 99-99. A Cooper jumper and ensuing tip try by Johnson both went awry and the fourth overtime period was set.

St. Bonaventure would open up a seven-point lead and score 13 points in the final stanza to earn the win. Seven of the 13 points came at the charity stripe.

Ohio returns home for a matchup against another A-10 foe on Wednesday, December 22. The Bobcats will host the Temple Owls at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center.

Follow OhioBobcats on Twitter