The 2006-07 season will be the 100th in the history of men's basketball at Ohio University. From its humble beginnings in 1907, to its current status as one of the most-successful programs in the history of the Mid-American Conference, Ohio Basketball has achieved great levels of success in its century-long run.
A group of seven male students organized in the winter of 1907 with the intent to compete at the intercollegiate level for the first time, and asked physical education teacher James C. Jones to be their coach. The seven, plus Jones, then went before Ohio University President Alston Ellis and asked if they could use the Ewing Hall basement as a venue for their games and charge admission.
Ellis granted their wish and gave them enough money to buy one basketball. The team had no uniforms and travel expenses came out of their own pocket.
Ninety-nine years and 13 conference championships later, the Ohio basketball program will celebrate its centennial season with 12 scholarship players on the roster, a whole rack of basketballs, adidas uniforms trimmed in the trademark Green & White and a travel budget that allows for trips across the United States.
Although the landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically since a 46-9 defeat of Parkersburg YMCA in Ohio's first-ever game in 1907, one thing has remained a constant throughout. The Bobcats have successfully represented Ohio University on the hardcourt, and the faithful in the stands clad in Green & White have cheered them on with pride. Promotional Nights for the 100th Year Anniversary