Roster  |  Schedule  |  News  |  History
Bobcats Start Strong but Fall Late to Broncos, 62-53

Mariah Byard has scored 13 points or more in two straight games

Feb. 16, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University Women’s Basketball Team got off to a strong start on Saturday against the Western Michigan Broncos, but ultimately fell by a final score of 62-53 in the Convocation Center. The Bobcats held a lead early in the second half but weren’t able to overcome a final 20 minutes which saw WMU outscore them by a 35-21 margin.

Ohio shot 44.4 percent (12-27) in the first half en route to taking a 32-27 lead into the halftime break, but a cold-shooting second half which saw the Green and White go 6-32 (18.8 percent) from the field proved to be too much to overcome in the loss. The Broncos stepped up their shooting in the second frame, hitting 12-23 (52.2 percent) of their field-goal attempts and ended the game shooting 22-48 (45.8 percent).

Marquisha Harris led all players in the game, scoring 23 points and pulling down 15 rebounds for the Broncos (9-15, 5-6 Mid-American Conference). She was joined in double figures by Corie Buchanan (15 points) and Alex Morton (11). Ohio (5-18, 0-11 MAC) had two players score in double figures, as Shavon Robinson (Canton, Ohio) and Mariah Byard (Mannington, W.Va.) each had strong offensive days, putting up 16 and 13 points, respectively.

Ohio’s bench played an important role in Saturday’s game, scoring 33 of the team’s 62 points.

Western Michigan got off to a fast start, beginning the game on an 8-0 run. The Bobcats were able to battle back and eventually tied things up at 17 apiece with 9:21 remaining in the first half. Facing a 17-9 deficit, Byard and Ashley Fowler (Cincinnati, Ohio) keyed the Bobcats to an 8-0 run of their own to force the first tie of the contest.

The Broncos were able to stretch their lead back to six points just a minute later, going ahead 23-17 at the 8:14 mark. Over the final 7:28 of the first frame, the ‘Cats ended the half on a 15-4 run to take a five-point lead into the halftime break.

Ohio began the second half in a solid manner, hitting three field goals in the first 3:23 to hold onto a two-point lead. At this point, the Bobcats endured a significant field-goal drought, not hitting a shot for the next 14:28. The ‘Cats weren’t held scoreless during this entire time, as they sank five free throws during the stretch.

Ohio will next be in action on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at Kent State. The Bobcats and Golden Flashes will tip off from Kent, Ohio, at 7 p.m.

- #OhioBobcats -