Nov. 15, 2013
Notes | Watch Live | Listen Live | Gametracker
ATHENS, Ohio -- The Ohio University women's basketball team (1-0) takes to the road for the first of six straight games away from Athens, visiting Morehead State University (2-1) in its first road matchup of the 2013-14 regular season.
Fans can catch the game on WOUB-AM 1340 beginning 15 minutes before tipoff time. Women's basketball media relations director Mike Ashcraft will be calling all of the action live.
The Last Meeting
December 9, 2012
Ohio Downs Morehead State 79-72 in Overtime
Four Ohio University women's basketball players scored in double figures to lead the Bobcats (3-5) to a thrilling 79-72 overtime victory over Morehead State Sunday afternoon at the Convocation Center.
- Coming off the bench, sophomore guard Kiyanna Black
(Columbus, Ohio) scored a career-high 35 points -- including eight three-pointers -- to help Ohio outduel Xavier, 94-88, in the 2013-14 season opener Sunday at the Convocation Center. Black's eight treys tied her with Cathy Zsall for second-most in a single game in school history. She shot 11-for-19 from the field.
- Sunday's victory marked the debut of Bob Boldon as head coach of the Bobcats. With six years of head coaching experience, Boldon is the 10th head coach in school history.
- The victory is Ohio's fourth consecutive win in a season-opener.
- Sunday's game marked the first time Ohio surpassed 90 points in a regular season game since 2008 (Western Michigan).
- Freshman forward Destini Cooper (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) posted a double-double in her Bobcat debut, tallying 17 points and grabbing a game-high 12 boards.
- Junior guard Mariah Byard (Mannington, W. Va.) fired three three-pointers in the victory to finish with 16 points. She also dished out four assists
- Sophomore forward Lexie Baldwin (Hattiesburg, Miss.) compiled 10 points and eight rebounds in the win.
- First-year head coach Bob Boldon comes to Athens after spending the last three years of his head coaching career at Youngstown State. The Northeast Ohio native inherited a program which had posted a 0-30 record during the 2009-10 season and turned it into a Women's National Invitational Tournament (WNIT) participant at the end of the 2012-13 season, posting two double-digit win seasons and one 23-win campaign along the way.
- Boldon brought three of his assistant coaches with him from Youngstown State to Athens -- Tavares Jackson, Kate Schrader and Mary Evans.
- Ohio is 3-7 all-time against Morehead State. The Bobcats snapped a two-game losing streak against the Eagles last season at the Convo, prevailing in overtime, 79-72, on Dec. 9, 2012. Then-freshman guard Kiyanna Black (Columbus, Ohio) scored a team-high 19 points. She was joined in double figures by then-sophomore forward Lexie Baldwin (Hattiesburg, Miss.) and then-sophomore guard Mariah Byard (Mannington, W. Va.), who tallied 14 and 10, respectively.
- Ohio has been picked to finish fifth in the Mid-American Conference East Division in 2013-14, as voted on by the conference's coaches.
- A matchup against Final Four participant Louisville and a non-conference tournament in Puerto Rico highlight Ohio women's basketball's 2013-14 schedule.
- Ohio will play a televised game on the Time Warner Cable Sports Network in 2014 as part of the Mid-American Conference's Basketball Regional TV Package, the conference announced Tuesday. The Bobcats will host Eastern Michigan on Feb. 9 at the Convocation Center in its televised matchup. The opening tip is scheduled for 2 p.m. The MAC will televise 16 women's basketball regular season games as well as the 2014 MAC Tournament semifinals and championship game as part of the package. All games will be produced in high definition, distributed by TWC in Ohio and New York, and offered to ESPN for inclusion on ESPN3, Watch ESPN and ESPN Full Court.
- Guard Kiyanna Black (Columbus, Ohio) was named to the 2012-13 Mid-American Conference All-Freshman Team last season. Black played in all 29 games last season, starting 17. She was Ohio's third leading scorer with 9.6 points per game and finished second on the team in total points scored with 279. Black scored a career high 26 points at Miami on Jan. 17 and scored at least one point in 27 of Ohio's 29 games on the year.
- Guard Mariah Byard (Mannington, W. Va.) earned a spot on the 2012-13 Mid-American Conference Academic Team. A Nursing major with an impressive grade-point average of 3.843, Byard was named to the Dean's List for the 2012 fall semester. She played in 24 games -- starting six -- and ranked second on the team in three-pointers made, hitting 35 of 112 attempts (31.3 percent). Byard scored in double figures on six occasions during the 2012-13 season.
- The 2013-14 Ohio women's basketball roster features six freshmen -- guard Quiera Lampkins (Gahanna, Ohio), guard Yamonie Jenkins (Reynoldsburg, Ohio), forward Jasmine Weatherspoon (Columbus, Ohio), forward Tmisht Stinson (Hattiesburg, Miss.), forward Hannah Boesinger (Hudson, Ohio) and forward Destini Cooper (Reynoldsburg, Ohio).