Roster  |  Schedule  |  News  |  History
Bobcats Drop Nail-Biter to Buckeyes, 1-0

Taylor Brown played exceptionally well, along with the rest of the Bobcats, in a unlucky 1-0 shootout loss to Ohio State this evening.

Sept. 12, 2012

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

ATHENS, Ohio – In a hard-fought battle under the lights at Pruitt Field, Ohio Field Hockey lost in a shootout to the visiting Ohio State Buckeyes, 1-0 (3-2). The Bobcats held possession for much of the match but couldn’t quite find the final scoring touch. 

"The positive side to this is that we had chances and we were just unlucky," Head Coach Neil Macmillan said. "Luli hit the post with that one try and I think that's indicative of our fitness. We rely on it to get us to a point but we have to address the finishing."

The Bobcats garnered two penalty corners in the second overtime using their fitness to their advantage. Taylor Brown had a try go high and Luli Gomez Teruel had the best chance of the game for Ohio hit the post.

In the shootout, the teams alternated makes and misses before Ohio had a chance go wide with its fifth try and OSU capitalized by scoring to end the game. Playing in her second-straight shootout, Brittany Walker denied two tries and finished the game with eight saves.

"Brittany has developed quickly and stepped in with a lot of confidence that she gained from last weekend," Macmillan added. "Our defense was strong again tonight but she made some saves off corners that were all her."

The teams battled through a scoreless first 35 minutes, with each side generating a few quality chances at goal. Just before ten minutes had passed, the Bobcats and Buckeyes traded shots on goal. Cathryn Altdoerffer took a hard shot from close range before Ohio State’s Berta Queralt hit a shot on frame in the ninth minute. Each of these chances was handled well by the respective goalkeepers.

One of the best scoring opportunities of the first half came in the 21st minute when Brown dashed up the sideline in possession of the ball. Seeing teammate Nicole van Batenburg making a run towards the far post, Brown zipped in a low pass. Van Batenburg made a lunge and got her stick on the ball but sent it just wide of the far post.

The Bobcats poured on the pressure in the final six minutes of regulation, peppering the Buckeye defense with multiple shots. This offensive spell came just moments after Ohio State earned two penalty corners.

Through 70 minutes of play, neither side had scored the deciding goal and the teams went to overtime.

"Adele played exceptionally well and she has done that so far this season," Macmillan said. "It has a lot to do with her experience from playing in England. Lauryl also had a strong game at the back as well with Marissa and Riley on the opposite side."

Ohio State came out fast in the beginning of the overtime period, forcing Walker into multiple saves. The sophomore proved to be a very dependable last line of defense, stopping everything which came her way. The Buckeyes held a 15-12 edge in total shots at the end of the first overtime period.

The Bobcats will next be in action on Saturday, Sept. 15 when they host Robert Morris. First touch is scheduled for 1 p.m. from Pruitt Field.








The Bobcats will next be in action on Saturday, Sept. 15 when they host Robert Morris. First touch is scheduled for 1 p.m. from Pruitt Field.