Roster  |  Schedule  |  News  |  History
Ohio Edged By CMU In Overtime, 2-1

Senior Luli Gomez Teruel gave Ohio a 1-0 lead with a goal in the first half.

Oct. 19, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University field hockey team (5-8, 1-1 MAC) dropped a 2-1 overtime contest to Central Michigan (5-8, 2-1 MAC) Saturday afternoon at Pruitt Field in the Bobcats’ home opener.

Ohio held a 1-0 lead early in the second half, but Central Michigan notched two unanswered goals – including the game winner with less than a minute left in overtime – to escape Athens with the victory.

Central Michigan held a 13-9 edge in shots for the contest and took eight penalty corners to Ohio’s four.

“Generally I thought we played OK, but it wasn’t a consistent game,” head coach Neil Macmillan said. “We didn’t do everything we wanted to in terms of combining and passing the ball around. We put together some nice plays, but we didn’t stick to our game plan for some critical portions of the match.”

Senior Luli Gomez Teruel (Salta, Argentina) posted her MAC-leading 10th goal of the season and took a team-high four shots (including three on goal) to pace the Bobcats offensively. Freshman Franziska Schmiedel (Mulheim, Germany) posted the assist on Gomez Teruel’s goal, which marked the second of her Ohio career.

Sophomore Adele Sammons (Upminster, England) also recorded three shots for Ohio, including one on goal.

Junior goalkeeper Brittany Walker (Elizabethtown, Pa.) made six saves while allowing two goals in 84:02 in the cage.

Walker made her first save of the game in the sixth minute by making a nice stop on a shot by CMU’s Bailey McKeon. McKeon again fired a shot at the cage at 15’ , but Walker again rejected her shot to keep the score knotted at zero.

Just four minutes later, the Bobcats struck first. In the 19th minute, senior Jessica Jue (Vancouver, British Columbia) took a corner for Ohio. Junior Lauryl Desch (Charlottesville, Va.) received the pass and sent it in to Schmiedel, who found Gomez Teruel for the goal.

Ohio continued its aggressive play with five minutes remaining in the first half, as Gomez Teruel and Sammons fired back-to-back shots for Ohio, but were unable to score.

The teams entered the break with Ohio holding a 1-0 lead.

The Chippewas tied the game at 1-1 a little more than 10 minutes into the second half, when Jordyn Brengosz deflected a shot into the left corner of the goal on an assist by McKeon. Ohio was a player down at the time after a yellow card was issued to the Bobcats.

CMU then had two strong scoring opportunities at 60’ and 61’, but Walker made saves on both shot attempts to keep the score tied at 1-1.

The Bobcats could not score for the remainder of the second half, sending the match into overtime.

Ohio controlled the early portion of the overtime session and had two penalty corners at 74’ and 75’. But the ‘Cats could not convert on shot attempts by Sammons and Jue.

Sammons again struck in the 78th minute, but her shot was saved by CMU goalie Cayleigh Immelman.

In the 83rd minute, Desch came up huge for Ohio, making a big defensive save to keep Ohio in the match. But with less than a minute to play, CMU’s Mary Alice Moore sent the Chippewas home with the win after notching a goal off the penalty corner.

The game marked Ohio’s first on its brand new Pruitt Field surface.

The Bobcats return to action Wednesday at 5 p.m. with a home contest against rival Miami.