March 6, 2007
2007 MAC Women's Basketball Tournament Central
Listen Live (Real Player)
Listen Live (Windows Media Player)
ATHENS, Ohio -The Ohio women's basketball team will continiue its quest for a Mid-American Conference championship on Tuesday, March 6 in a quarterfinal match-up against the West Division #2 seed, Eastern Michigan. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. (or 30 minutes following the 5 p.m. contest) at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena.
Defense Wins Games
The Bobcats have forced their opponents into an average of 15.3 turnovers per game, while holding them to 38.5 percent shooting from the field and 32.3 percent from behing the three-point line.
Ohio has 2 players ranked in the top 15 in the MAC in scoring - Lauren Kohn is 6th with 15.9 ppg and Rachel Frederick is 13th at 13.4 ppg. Frederick recorded her eleventh double-double (1st in the MAC) with 13 points and 11 rebounds vs. Akron (2/28). Frederick also tops the MAC charts in rebounds (9.2 rpg). Kohn has made 67-of-73 free-throw attempts in MAC play this season, which gives her the highest free-throw percentage in MAC play at 91.8-percent.
Game Recognize Game (as of Feb. 25)
The Bobcats are ranked near the top of the MAC in several categories, but are also ranked among Div. I's elite in a few categories as well:
- Q. Ward: 68th in assists (4.6 apg)
- L. Kohn: 15th in free-throw % (87.3 %)
- R. Frederick: 48th in rebounds (9.1 rpg)
- R. Frederick: 69th in free-throw % (82.6%)
- Bobcats: 32th in 3-pt FG % (35.6 %)
- Bobcats: 74th in FG % (42.6%)
- Bobcats: 16th in free-throw % (75.6%)
- Bobcats: 110th in RPI
Turning Things Around
Sylvia Crawley has already started to turn Ohio's women's basketball program around. The team has more wins (18) than it had last season and Ohio won three consecutive conference games (on 2 occasions: with wins over NIU, BSU, and CMU & with wins over EMU, KSU, and Miami) for the first time since the 1997-98 season.
- Ohio's 17 regular season wins are the most regular season wins that a Bobcat team has had since the 1994-95 season (22 wins).
- Ohio's 10 MAC regular season wins are the most that a Bobcat team has had since the 1997-98 season (13 wins).
- The Bobcats 70-67 win over #16/18 BGSU was the program's 1st win over a ranked opponent and it also snapped a number of lengthy BGSU streaks, including:
* an 18-game overall winning streak since a Dec. 19 loss to #1-ranked Duke
* a 39-game win streak against MAC opponents (a school and conference record)
* a 29-game winning streak at Anderson Arena (the longest streak on the nation)