Score: Ohio 64, Toledo 55
Location: Toledo, Ohio
The Short Story: Led by Quiera Lampkins' fourth double-double of the season, the Ohio women's basketball (13-4, 4-2 MAC) came away with the hard fought 64-55 victory against Mid-American Conference West foe Toledo (12-5, 3-3 MAC) Wednesday evening (Jan. 18).
OHIO STARTERS: #0 Taylor Agler, #5 Quiera Lampkins #11 Kelly Karlis, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #15 Jasmine Weatherspoon,
TOLEDO STARTERS: #2 Mikaela Boyd, #3 Mariella Santucci, #11 Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott, #12 Janice Monakana #15 Kaayla McIntyre
How It Happened:
- Ohio won the opening tip.
- Jenkins got the scoring going for Ohio when Yamonie Jenkins got a layup at 9:03 left in the first.
- Ohio went up 4-0 with a jumper from Quiera Lampkins.
- Toledo got on the board at the 7:37 mark with a made three-pointer.
- Lampkins gave Ohio a 6-0 lead, and then Hannah Boesinger gave the Bobcats a 9-0 lead going into the media timeout on a made three-pointer with 5:07 left in the first quarter.
- Toledo went on a 6-0 run after the media timeout to tie the game up at 9-9.
- Lampkins gave the Bobcats the lead back with a layup.
- Toledo took a 12-11 lead with 2:44 left on a three-pointer.
- Katie Barker tied the game up at 14-14 with 2:15 left on a made three pointer.
- Ohio went up 18-14 with 1:01 left on another layup from Lampkins.
- Toledo would cut the score lead to one with 13 seconds left, However, Lampkins would hit two free throws at the end of the quarter to give Ohio a 20-17 lead.
- The Bobcats opened the second quarter with Lampkins making another layup to put Ohio up 22-17.
- Jenkins would then drain a three-pointer giving Ohio a 25-17 lead with 8:54 left in the second quarter.
- Toledo would go on a 5-0 run to cut the Bobcat lead to three, but Jasmine Weatherspoon would put the Bobcats up 27-22 with 7:15 left on a made layup.
- Lampkins would connect with another layup a minute later, giving Ohio a 29-22 lead with 6:29 left in the second quarter.
- No one would score again until the 2:48 mark when Toledo would make a layup.
- Ohio would go up eight with 1:21 left in the second quarter on a made three-pointer by Barker.
- Toledo would cut the lead to six with 30 seconds left on a made jumper.
- The Bobcats led the Rockets 32-26 at the half.
- The Bobcats held Toledo to nine points in the second quarter and only four points the final six minutes of the quarter.
- Leading the Bobcats was Lampkins with 14 points, going 6-of-9 from the field and 2-of-2 from the free throw line.
- Barker added six points, going 2-of-7 from three-point range.
- Overall, Ohio shot .433 from the field, .267 from three=point range and .500 from the free throw line.
- Ohio grabbed 18 rebounds, dished out six assists, had three blocks and four steals.
- Leading Toledo was Kaayla McIntyre with six points, going 3-of-6 from the field.
- The Rockets shot .379 form the field, .429 from three-point range and .500 from the free throw line.
- Ohio forced Toledo to turn the ball over 11 times and scored 11 points off of them.
- Toledo scored first in the third quarter, making the score 32-29 with 8:16 left in the third quarter.
- Toledo would cu the lead to three with 7:20 left, but Kelly Karlis would get the Bobcat lead back to five with a made layup with 5:50 left.
- The Rockets would then cut the lead to one with a made three pointer.
- The Bobcats would the go on a run with 3:46 left in the third quarter to get the Ohio lead to 12 with 1:40 left in the third quarter when Lampkins drained a three-pointer.
- Toledo would cut the Ohio lead to 10 on two made free throws to give the Bobcats the 50-40 lead after three quarters.
- The Bobcats finished the third quarter on a 15-4 run through the final five minutes.
- Toledo would open the fourth quarter with a made free throw with 9:51 left, cutting Ohio's lead to 50-41.
- No one would score again until the 5:41 mark, when Ohio was assessed two technical fouls and then The Rockets hit all four free throws and them made a jumper on the ensuing possession, cutting the Ohio lead to 50-47.
- A layup by Taylor Agler at the 5:19 mark would give Ohio its first points of the quarter and then extend the Ohio lead to 52-47.
- Toledo would cu the lead to one at the 4:05 mark in two made free throws by the Rockets.
- Ohio would get the lead back up to seven with 1:16 left when Jenkins drained a three-pointer at the shot clock buzzer, making the score 58-51.
- The Bobcats would go up by 10 with 49 seconds left on two made free throws by Weatherspoon.
- Toledo would get the score as close as seven on a made jumper with 15 seconds left.
- However, that is as close as they would get with Jenkins hitting two free throws in the final 15 seconds.
- The Bobcats would come away with the 64-55 victory.
- Leading all scorers was Lampkins who scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Lampkins went 10-of-15 from the field, 1-of-4 from three-point range and 5-of-8 from the free throw line.
- Jenkins added nine points, going 3-of-6 from the field, 2-of-4 from three-point range and 1-of-4 from the free throw line.
- Weatherspoon added seven points and seven rebounds and Karlis and Barker each added six points.
- Karlis also grabbed nine rebounds.
- As a team, Ohio was 24-of-54 (.444) from the field, 6-of-27 (.222) from beyond the arc and 10-of-17 (.588) from the free throw line.
- Ohio grabbed 39 rebounds, dished out 10 assists, had four blocks and eight steals.
- Ohio forced Toledo to turn the ball over 21 times and scored 19 points off of them.
- The Bobcats scored 32 points in the paint.
- For Toledo, McIntyre scored 11 points, going 5-of-9 from the field.
- As a team, Toledo was 18-of-58 (.310) from the field, 5-of-15 (.333) from three-point range and 14-of-20 (.700) from the free throw line.
- Toledo grabbed 37 rebounds, dished out 12 assists and had eight steal.
- The Rockets forced Ohio to turn the ball over 19 times and scored 14 points off of them.
Beyond the Boxscore:
- With her second layup in the first quarter, Quiera Lampkins surpassed 1,500 career points. She is the fourth Bobcat to do so.
- Lampkins double-double was the fourth of the season and the 12th of her career.
- This was Ohio's 13th win of the season and fourth in MAC play.
- This was head coach Bob Boldon's 75th win at Ohio.
- This is Ohio's 27th all time win against Toledo.
- This was Ohio's fourth-straight win against the Rockets.
"It's a tough place to play. Any time you win here you just take it and get out of town as quick as possible. I thought we showed some improvement defensively, this is the best defensive game we've had in a long time. (Toledo) is a really good team and we held them to just 55 on a night that we weren't great offensively. I don't think last week's defense would've gotten us a win tonight. I'm proud of the players for making that adjustment and having a little more concentration on how to guard." - Head Coach Bob Boldon
"We've taken a baby step in trying to play the defense that we're suppose to play. We have to take another step in practice tomorrow to continue that to put us in a position to guard on Saturday. Hopefully the offense on Saturday is a bit smoother, but we have to have some sort of defensive consistency. That's my main focus at this time. We'll get the offense to where it needs to be." - Head Coach Bob Boldon
The Bobcats return to Athens to start a short two-game home stand on Saturday, Jan. 21 when the Bobcats host Eastern Michigan. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. inside the Convocation Center. The game will be aired on ESPN3.