Score: Northern Illinois 72, Ohio 71
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
The Short Story: Despite three players in double figures and a double-double for Jasmine Weatherspoon, the fifth-seeded Ohio womenâs basketball team (22-9) could not overcome a 48-point second half from fourth-seeded Northern Illinois (20-10), falling, 72-71, in the Mid-American Conference Quarterfinals.
OHIO STARTERS: #0 Taylor Agler, #5 Quiera Lampkins #11 Kelly Karlis, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #15 Jasmine Weatherspoon,
NORTHERN ILLINOISSTARTERS: #1 Cassidy Glenn, #4 Courtney Woods, #21 Mikayla Voigt, #31 Ally Lehman, #40 Kelly Smith
How It Happened:
- Ohio won the opening tip.
- The Bobcats got on the board first with a three-pointer from Yamonie Jenkins.
- Ohio went up 5-0 on a layup from Quiera Lampkins.
- NIU tied it up with 7:33 left in the first quarter with a three pointer and a layup.
- Ohio went back up 8-5 on Jenkinsâ second three of the game.
- After an impressive defensive sequence by Ohio, the Bobcats went up 11-5 on a Kelly Karlis three-pointer.
- A Boesinger three followed by a three from Lampkins, Ohio would lead 17-7 with 2:07 left.
- NIU would pull within seven at the 1:28 mark, but Ohio would go on a 6-0 run to close out the first quarter and would lead 23-10.
- The Bobcats opened up the second quarter with a made three-pointer from Karlis.
- After back-to-back layups from Lampkins, Ohio would lead 30-10 with 7:25 left in the second quarter.
- After a made layup from NIU, Amani Burke would drain a three to put the Bobcats up 33-12 with 5:58 left.
- The Bobcats held NIU without a field goal through the first four minutes of the second quarter.
- After a layup and made free throw from Taylor Agler, Ohio lead would 36-14
- NIU would go on a 10-5 run to close the second quarter.
- At the half, Ohio led 41-24.
- The Bobcats help NIU to its lowest first half total of the season.
- Leading the Bobcats was Burke who had 11 points, who went 4-of-6 from the field and 3-of-4 from three-point range. She also had five rebounds.
- Lampkins added nine points.
- Weatherspoon recorded five blocks in the first half and six rebounds.
- Overall, Ohio shot .429 from the field, .429 from three-point range and .667 from the free throw line.
- The Bobcats dished out 10 assists, had six blocks and three steals and only turned the ball over four times. Ohio forced NIU to turn the ball over six times and scored seven points off of them.
- Leading NIU was Renee Sladek with 10 points.
- Kelly Smith grabbed a team-leading six rebounds.
- As a team, NIU shot .270 from the field, .111 from three-point range and 3-for-3 from the free throw line.
- The Huskies dished out eight assists, had one block and three steals.
- Ohio and the Huskies traded baskets to start off the third quarter.
- NIU cut the Ohio lead to 12 at the 3:29 mark on a made layup, making the score 52-40.
- The Bobcats went back up by 15 thanks to a three-pointer from Burke, making the score 59-44 with 1:21 left in the third quarter.
- With two made free throws, NIU made the score 59-48 with 33 seconds left.
- Katie Barker would respond with a made three pointer moments later to make the score 62-48 with 17 seconds left.
- Ohio would lead 62-50 at the end of the third quarter.
- Barker would give the Bobcats a 65-50 lead with 8:50 left in the game.
- With back-to-back three, NIU would cut the Ohio lead to nine with 7:56 left.
- Lampkins would hit two free throws to put the Bobcats up 11.
- NIU would go on a 13-2 run to tie the game at 69-69 with 2:12 left.
- Lampkins would give Ohio the lead with two made free throws with 1:35 left.
- NIU would hit a layup with 34 seconds left to give NIU the 72-71 lead.
- With 11 seconds left, Ohio would steal the NIU inbounds, however Burkeâs game-winning three would rim out as time expired.
- The Bobcats would fall 72-71
- Leading the Bobcats was Lampkins who scored 17 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Next was Burke who added 16 points and seven rebounds.
- Weatherspoon added 11 points and 10 rebounds and five blocks.
- As a team, Ohio shot .344 from the field, .342 from three-point range and .933 from the free throw line.
- Ohio dished out 16 assists, had eight blocks and six steals.
- Ohio forced NIU to turn the ball over 10 times and scored 11 points off of them.
- Leading NIU was Mikayla Voigt with 19 points. Ally Lehman added 17 points and Courtney Woods and Sladek both hasd12.
- As a team, NIU shot .453 from the field, .235 from three-point range and .833 from the free throw line.
- NIU dished out 16 assists, had one block and four steals.
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Ohio is now 19-29 all time at the MAC Tournament.
- Ohio is now 5-16 in the MAC Quarterfinals.
- Head coach Bob Boldon is now 2-2 all time in MAC Tournament games.
- Jasmine Weatherspoon recorded her sixth double-double of the season.
âI thought we showed some pretty good patience in the first half was well. We made more shots obviously, 2 of 14 from the floor in the fourth quarter doesn't help your cause as opposed to 8 of 15 in the first quarter. So I don't know that we shot the ball less or were less aggressive. I thought we were pretty patient in both halves and I thought we got the ball where we wanted to and unfortunately those shots didn't go in.â â Head coach Bob Boldon
âI don't think anything, you come up with the percentages it's pretty clear. We ran the same stuff, we got the ball in the same part of the floor, we moved it to the same people in the same spots. We tried some things early in the second half that I didn't think were real good and we got away from them and got back to what we were doing in the first half. You know, we obviously didn't make enough shots. Nine points in the fourth quarter is not enough to win obviously. You had like to play some form of defense but we didn't, so they scored more points.â â Head Coach Bob Boldon
The Bobcats will have to wait until Monday to know their postseason fate.