Score: Ohio 72, UT Martin 55
Location: Athens, Ohio
The Short Story: With three players scoring in double figures and Quiera Lampkins registering her first double-double of the season, the Ohio women's basketball team took care of UT Martin on Friday afternoon (Nov. 18), downing the Skyhawks by the final of 72-55.
OHIO STARTERS: #0 Taylor Agler, #5 Quiera Lampkins #11 Kelly Karlis, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #15 Jasmine Weatherspoon,
UT MARTIN STARTERS: #3 Kendall Spray, #4 Emanye Robertson, #13 Lindsay Chrise, #14 Ansley Eubank, #44 Shy Copney
How It Happened:
- Ohio took first possession off the opening tip.
- Quiera Lampkins opened scoring for Ohio on a 3-pointer, her first of the season.
- Jasmine Weatherspoon stole a slow pass at the 7:41 mark and drove to the net for a layup making the score 8-5, UT Martin.
- Amani Burke drained a big 3-pointer at the 4:53 mark to put Ohio 10-8 over UT Martin for the first time of the game.
- Katie Barker drained Ohio's third straight 3-pointer at the 2:13 mark to keep Ohio on top 13-11.
- After the first quarter, Ohio led 16-13. Burke lead the Bobcat squad with five points. Jenkins lead the squad with three assists.
- UT Martin opened scoring in the second to tie the score at 16-16 at the 9:37 mark
- Lampkins was fouled at the 8:43 mark. Made both free throws to make the score 18-19 UT Martin.
- Kelly Karlis registered Ohio's first field goal of the quarter, draining a 3-pointer at the 8:03 mark off an assist from Taylor Agler. Karlis' score put Ohio up 21-19.
- Karlis was fouled at the 6:21 mark. She drained both of her shots to set the score 23-21.
- Hannah Boesinger was fouled on a successful layup drive. The resulting free throw put Ohio up 26-23 at the 3:48 mark.
- Karlis went coast to coast on a fast break at the 2:28 that resulted in a layup to put Ohio up 32-23.
- Lampkins made a huge steal seconds before the end of the second quarter that allowed her to drive to the net and end the quarter with a layup that put Ohio up 39-23.
- Ohio was a perfect 9-for-9 when shooting from the line through the first half. Burke led the team in scoring with 10 points, Lampkins led the Bobcat squad in rebounds with seven, Yamonie Jenkins led the squad in assists with 5.
- Ohio didn't allow UT Martin to score any points in the final four minutes of the half.
- UT Martin opened scoring in the second half. Ohio's Jenkins fouled Robertson who drained her two shots to put the score at 39-25 Ohio at the 9:29 mark.
- Agler opened scoring for Ohio at the 8:21 off a 3-pointer to make the score 42-28 with and assist from Lampkins.
- Ohio put two on the board following a smooth steal from Weatherspoon who dished it out to Lampkins who then found Karlis in the paint. Karlis' layup put the Bobcats up 31-49 at the 6:19 mark.
- Barker drained her third 3-pointer of the game off an assist at the 4:10 mark to put Ohio up 58-34.
- At the end of the third quarter Ohio led 62-42. Lampkins led scoring for Ohio with 14 points with Burke right behind her with 13.
- Weatherspoon opened scoring for Ohio in the fourth after going coast to coast at the 6:34 mark. Her layup made the score 66-46 Ohio.
- Ohio came out on top 72-55.
- Ohio scored 30 points in the paint and 22 points off of turnovers.
- The Bobcats ended the game shooting 10-of-40 from behind the 3-point line and 26-of-72 from the field.
- Ohio out rebounded UT Martin 44-41.
- The Bobcat defense forced UT Martin to turn the ball over 21 times. The Bobcats also dished out 17 assists.
- Lampkins lead the team in scoring with 16, was 4-for-4 from the free throw line and recorded 11 rebounds.
- Burke recorded 13 points and had a team high 34 +/-.
- Ohio was 36 percent for field goals, 25 percent from 3-pointers and 100 percent for free throws.
- For UT Martin, Kendall Spray led the squad with 17 points.
- Ashton Feldhaus was right behind with 13 points and shot 5-9 from the field.
- Emanye Robertson was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line and led her team in assists with five.
- UT Martin shot 36 percent from the field, 39 percent from 3-point range and 67 percent from the line.
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Barker tied her career-high with nine points.
- Burke recorded a career-high 13 points.
- Lampkins recorded her first double-doubled of the season and ninth of her career.
- Ohio's record improved to 2-0 on the season.
- Coach Bob Boldon earned his 64th win at Ohio.
- The win was the 528th in program history.
- This is the second all-time win for the Bobcats over UT Martin.
Coach Bob Boldon on Ohio's defense
"I think the kids who were on the floor that were returners, really knew the principles of our defense. I thought in the second quarter again we settled in and figured out what they were trying to do. It seemed like we were able to disrupt that. Other than that, I thought we made them work hard to get points."
"I think just making shots and making stops on defense really helped us pull away in the second half. Our shots just really started to fall."
"I'm not surprised at all of how well she's played (Amani Burke). I just try to give her what I got from KB (Kiyanna Black). That's what KB and I tried to do, just helping her to do that too in the coming years."
Ohio returns to the court on Monday, Nov. 21 when the Bobcats host Northern Kentucky. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside the Convocation Center and can be seen on ESPN3.