The Walter Fieldhouse is Campus Recreation's newest facility completed in 2014. The 93,750 square foot indoor multipurpose pavilion houses a 100 yard AstroTurf football field with 2, 10-yard end zones, 2 All-American scoreboards, a 4-lane, 316 meter practice track, long jump and pole vault pits, golf and hitting cages, 2 filming platforms, and a netting system that can accommodate multiple events.
Construction on the $13 million facility began in April 2013. Much of the funding for the project was provided by an $8 million commitment from the Walters and the Walter Family Foundation in December 2010. The Walters are 1967 graduates - Robert Walter with a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering and Peggy Walter with a bachelor of fine arts.
In total, 475 donors made gifts and pledges totaling more than $11.15 million. Alumni donors are graduates from across all 10 of Ohio's academic colleges and represent the classes of 1942 through 2010. Current students and their parents, faculty and staff, corporations and organizations also made contributions.
Walter Fieldhouse provides a practice and training area for all of Ohio's outdoor varsity sports: baseball, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, soccer, softball and track and field, and will be utilized for academic classes, Marching 110 practices, Army and Air Force ROTC training, Intramural and Club Sports, and is also be open to all Ohio University students and the community during Open Recreation hours