Shots (on goal)
Score: Ohio 4, Saint Francis 2
Records: Ohio (1-0, 0-0 MAC), Saint Francis (0-1, 0-0 A-10)
Location: Athens, Ohio (Pruitt Field)â¨
Short Story: The Ohio field hockey team (1-0, 0-0 MAC) started its season with a 4-2 victory over Atlantic 10 Conference foe Saint Francis (0-1, 0-0 A-10) on Friday (Aug. 26) at Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Maria Russell (Hudson, Ohio) provided Ohio with its first goal of the season in the fourth minute, firing a shot into the bottom corner. Sophomore Kendall Ballard (Charlottesville, Va.) assisted on the play.
- Ohio would double its lead only a few minutes later, when freshman Brittany Keen (Perth, Western Austrailia) put one past sophomore Red Flash keeper, Elizabeth Dyer. Emma Eggleston (Houston, Texas) picked up the assist on the goal that gave the Bobcats a 2-0 advantage.
- Saint Francis would bring the deficit back to one in the 19th minute off of a corner chance. Sophomore Hannah Retherford knocked the ball past redshirt senior Ohio keeper, Lina Trucco (Lake Bluff, Ill.), to bring the score to 2-1.
- Ballard then rocketed one home for the Bobcats in the 26th minute off another corner chance, expanding Ohioâs lead to 3-1. Picking up assists on the play were Eggleston and senior Hannah Kingsbury (Louisville, Ky.).
- At the half, Ohio outshot Saint Francis 6-3 and tied the corner battle 2-2.
- Trucco would come up huge in the 42nd minute with two saves off a corner chance for the Red Flash to preserve Ohioâs 3-1 lead.
- Saint Francis would score off of a corner chance to bring the score to 3-2, but that one-goal differential would not last long, as Keen netted her second goal of the game in the following minute.
- In the 60th minute, the Red Flash would garner another corner, however Trucco would make a diving save to keep Ohioâs two-goal lead intact.
- Saint Francis outshot Ohio 10-7 and won the corner battle 8-2.
- Trucco tallied four saves at the net for the Bobcats, while Dyer had two on the day for the Red Flash.
- Keen had a perfect shot percentage for the day, with two shots on goal and two goals. Eggleston totaled two assists for Ohio.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ohio improves to 20-15-1 (.569) in season openers since the NCAA era began â including 6-6 (.500) under 12th-year head coach Neil Macmillan since 2005.
- The Bobcats are now 3-1 (1.000) all-time against the Red Flash. All three victories have come in season openers.
âGreat, great job. It was well played in the first half. I thought we moved the ball very well and put them under a ton of pressure.â â 12th-Year Head Coach Neil Macmillan
âIn the second half, we were a little loose to start with. They put us under pressure, but we fought through it and responded really quickly.â - Macmillan
âWe usually say that if you score three you are going to pretty much win every game and we would have done that today, but to have that insurance goal especially after they scored was fantastic.â - Macmillan
Ohio closes out the opening weekend of the 2016 season by hosting Indiana on Sunday (Aug. 28) in a 1 p.m. ET contest. The Hoosiers open the season at home on Friday at 3 p.m. against No. 12 Louisville.