Score: Ohio 68, Eastern Michigan 51
Location: Athens, Ohio
The Short Story: Led by Quiera Lampkins' 22-point game, Ohio women's basketball (14-4, 5-2 MAC) came away with a 68-51 victory against Mid-American Conference West foe Eastern Michigan (5-14, 0-7 MAC) Saturday afternoon (Jan. 21).
OHIO STARTERS: #0 Taylor Agler, #5 Quiera Lampkins #11 Kelly Karlis, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #15 Jasmine Weatherspoon,
EASTERN MICHIGANSTARTERS: #1 Sasha Dailey, #3 Tori Easley, #21 Phillis Webb, #22 Sheyna Deans, #41 Micah Robinson
How It Happened:
- Ohio won the opening tip.
- Jasmine Weatherspoon got the scoring going for Ohio when she got a layup at 9:06 left in the first.
- Eastern Michigan got on the board at the 8:37 mark to tie the score at 2-2.
- A Taylor Agler layup made it 6-2 with 7:24 to go.
- Quiera Lampkins extended the lead to 11-2 with a basket and free throw with 5:17 to go in the first.
- Ohio would go on a 9-0 run with seven of those coming from Lampkins and the other two from Agler.
- Eastern Michigan would end the run with a 3-pointer from Phillis Webb with 4:57 to go in the first quarter.
- Eastern Michigan cut the lead to four after a bucket from Dailey to make it 11-7.
- Dominique Doseck would sink a three to extend the lead to 14-7.
- Eastern Michigan responded with a layup from Easley with 3:12 to go in the first quarter.
- Doseck would hit a second consecutive three to go up 17-9.
- Robinson made two foul shots for Eastern Michigan at the end of the first to make it 17-11.
- A layup from Webb made it 17-15 with 7:45 to go in the first half.
- Agler responded with a layup to end the 6-0 Eastern Michigan run.
- Amani Burke extended the lead for Ohio to 20-17 with a free throw.
- Ohio led Eastern Michigan 20-18 at the media timeout with 3:59 to go in the first half.
- Kelly Karlis extended the lead to 23-18 with a three at the 3:05 mark.
- Lampkins would bring it back down the court for a layup with 2:15 to go in the half.
- Eastern Michigan called a timeout with 2:09 to go in the first half, down by seven.
- Dailey would steal the ball and take it down for a layup to make the score 25-20 with 1:43 left.
- Lampkins would sink two free throws and make it 29-20 at the 44 second mark.
- Robinson would sink a jumper as the last basket of the half to make the score 29-22 at the half.
- At the half, Lamkins led the team in points with 11. She also had three rebounds an assist and a steal.
- Doseck added six points going 2-of-5 from the field and 2-of-4 from three.
- Weatherspoon and Agler finished the half with four points each while Weatherspoon also had six rebounds.
- As a team at the half, Ohio shot 10-of-30 (.353) from the field, 3-of-13 (.231) from three and 6-of-8 (.750) from the free throw line.
- Ohio grabbed 23 rebounds, three assists and forced six turnovers at the half.
- Eastern Michigan forced seven turnovers at the half and scored six points off of them.
- Weatherspoon started the scoring in the second half for Ohio with a layup.
- Lampkins would sink two layups in a row to extend the Bobcats lead to 35-22.
- Lampkins would take an offensive rebound and put it back up for two.
- A foul on an offensive rebound for Weathersoon sent her to the line and she would make both to make it 39-24.
- Ohio led 39-26 at the media timeout with 4:29 left.
- Hannah Boesinger put up a jumper from 12 and made the bonus shot to lead 42-26..
- Burke would sink a three with 2:03 to go for Ohio.
- With 28 seconds left in the third quarter, Doseck sank her third three of the game.
- Ohio led 48-30 at the end of the third quarter.
- The Bobcats held EMU to eight points in the third quarter.
- Eastern Michigan would take three from Robinson with 9:17 left in the game.
- Lampkins went to the line again after making a basket and her bonus shot put the Bobcats up 53-33.
- Eastern Michigan would respond with a layup from 22 with 7:05 to go.
- Agler would sink a three to extend the lead to 59-35
- Eastern Michigan makes it 59-40 with a layup from Robinson before a media timeout.
- Deans made two free throws at 4:54 mark in the fourth quarter for Eastern Michigan.
- Ohio would lead 61-42 after a basket from Kendall Jessing with 3:49 to go.
- Easley would make two free throws for Eastern Michigan to make it 61-44.
- Deans would hit a jumper for Eastern Michigan to make a 9-2 run in three minutes.
- With two minutes to go, Eastern Michigan would get three more after a basket and free throw from Deans.
- Doseck would score a layup and make the bonus shot to extend the Ohio lead to 64-49.
- Ohio added two more from a layup from Stinson.
- With 32 seconds left, Ohio extended their lead with a layup from Jessing.
- Eastern Michigan would put up the last score of the game on a jumper from Robinson.
- Ohio came out on top over Eastern Michigan 68-51.
- Leading all scorers was Lampkins who scored 22 points and grabbed six rebounds. Lampkins went 7-of-14 from the field, 0-of-3 from three-point range and a perfect 8-of-8 from the free throw line.
- Doseck added 12 points, grabbed two rebounds and had three assists.
- Weatherspoon had eight points and 11 rebonds. She went 3-of-9 from the field, 0-of-1 from beyond the arch and 2-of-3 from the free throw line.
- Agler added seven points and Burke and Jessing each added four points.
- Jenkins also grabbed seven rebounds.
- As a team, Ohio was 24-of-63 (.381) from the field, 6-of-29 (.207) from beyond the arch and 14-of-16 (.875) from the free throw line.
- Ohio grabbed 47 rebounds, dished out 11 assists, had six blocks and six steals.
- Ohio forced Eastern Michigan to turn the ball over 11 times and scored six points off of them.
- The Bobcats scored 36 points in the paint.
- For Eastern Michigan, Robinson scored 16 points, going 6-of-17 from the field.
- As a team, the Eagles were 19-of-66 (.280) from the field, 3-of-15 (.200) from three-point range and 10-of-18 (.556) from the free throw line.
- Eastern Michigan grabbed 44 rebounds, dished out five assists and had five steals.
- The Eagles forced Ohio to turn the ball over 13 times and scored eight points off of them.
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Jasmine Weatherspoon was just one basket shy of a double-double with eight points and 11 rebounds.
- This was Ohio's 14th win of the season and fifth in MAC play.
- This was head coach Bob Boldon's 76th win at Ohio.
- This is Ohio's 35th all time win against Eastern Michigan.
- This was Ohio's third-straight win against the Eagles.
- Dominique Doseck scored a season-high 12 points and hit a season-high three made three-point field goals.
- Yamonie Jenkins grabbed a career-high seven rebounds.
- Kendall Jessing scored a season-high four points.
âTo be able to make adjustments is the intelligence and the maturity of this team to be able to do that. That was a good possession and I thought the ones surrounding that were pretty good too, once we got a handle on what they were trying to do.â - Head Coach Bob Boldon
âWe have another game coming up that we have to win. Thatâs just always been our mentality and always will be our mentality that the next game is the most important game and weâll try to make the appropriate adjustments from this game. Obviously there were some offensive miscues and the shooting percentages obviously aren't where they need to be so weâll continue to work on that and try to do better next time and try to keep our defense where it needs to be.â - Head Coach Bob Boldon
âWe just work in every day to get better, so if itâs back to basics, thatâs good, but if weâre even better than before, thatâs really great, so we are just trying to get better every day.â - Jasmine Weatherspoon
âI think sometimes you have to make changes. As we all know, teams are getting better, players are getting better, so of course as the year goes on we have to make changes.â - Jasmine Weatherspoon
The Bobcats remain in Athens to finish a short two-game home stand on Wednesday, Jan. 25 when the Bobcats host Western Michigan. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside the Convocation Center. The game will be aired on ESPN3.