Score: Central Michigan 64, Ohio 59
Location: Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
The Short Story: Despite 15 fourth quarter points from Quiera Lampkins and a double-double from Hannah Boesinger, the Ohio womenâs basketball team (16-5, 7-3 MAC) fell in a thrilling contest to Central Michigan (15-6, 7-2 MAC) Wednesday evening.
OHIO STARTERS: #0 Taylor Agler, #5 Quiera Lampkins, #11 Kelly Karlis, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #22 Hannah Boesinger
CENTRAL MICHIGAN STARTERS: #2 Tinara Moore, #3 Presley Hudson, #10 Cassie Breen, #13 Reyna Frost #20 Jewel Cotton
How It Happened:
- CMU won the opening tip.
- CMU got on the board first with a jumper with 7:45 left in the first quarter.
- Ohio tied the game at 2-2 on a made layup by Quiera Lampkins.
- CMU went up 4-2 before a Layup by Lampkins tied the game.
- With 4:33 in the quarter left, CMU went up 7-4 on a made three pointer.
- However, Ohio would respond with three-straight three-pointers from Kelly Karlis, Taylor Agler and Yamonie Jenkins to take a 13-7 lead with 2:36 left in the first quarter.
- CMU would then go on a 7-0 run the final two minutes of the first quarter to take a 14-13 lead at the end of the first.
- Ohio 15-14 lead early on in the second quarter on a made layup by Jenkins.
- Central Michigan retook the lead on two made free throws with 8:05 left in the second quarter.
- CMU would go up 18-15 with 7:05 left on the second quarter.
- Ohio would cut the CMU lead to 18-17 on a made layup by Hannah Boesinger.
- CMU took a 22-19 lead with 4:35 left in the second quarter.
- The Bobcats cut the lead to one with two made free throws from Boesinger.
- The Bobcats took a 24-22 lead on a made three-pointer from Agler with 3:30 left.
- Ohio would then take a 27-22 with 2:15 left on a layup and made free throw from Lampkins.
- CMU would cut the lead to three with 2:01 left, but the Bobcats would respond with a made layup from Boesinger with 1:21 left in the second quarter.
- The Bobcats led CMU, 29-24 at the half
- Leading all scorers was Lampkins with nine points. She also grabbed five rebounds and dished out three assists.
- Agler and Boesinger both added six points while Boesinger also grabbed five boards.
- Kelly Karlis led Ohio with seven rebounds.
- Ohio grabbed 25 rebounds, dished out five assists had three blocks and two steals.
- The Bobcats were 11-of-31 (.335) from the field, 4-of-13 (.308) from three-point range and 3-of-3 from the free throw line.
- For CMU, Cassie Breen led in scoring with eight points while Jewel Cotton added seven points.
- Reyna Frost led with seven rebounds.
- As a team, CMU grabbed 17 rebounds, dished out two assists and had two steals.
- CMU shot 9-of-31 (.290) from the field, 1-of-11 (.091) from three-point range and 5-of-5 from the free throw line.
- CMU would open the third quarter with a made three pointer, however the Bobcats responded with one from Agler to give Ohio a 32-27 lead with 8:27 left in the third quarter.
- CMU would go on a 7-0 run to take a 34-32 lead with 5:58 left in the third quarter.
- The Bobcats would retake the lead on back-to-back three pointers from Katie Barker and Amani Burke to go up 38-34.
- CMU would take a 41-38 lead with 2:04 left on a made jumper by Tinara Moore.
- Ohio would respond with a layup from Agler to make the score 41-0.
- However, Moore would make another layup in the final minute to give CMU a 43-40 lead after three quarters of play.
- Boesinger opened up the fourth quarter with a layup to cut the CMU lead to 43-42.
- CMU went up by five with 7:34 left on two made free throws.
- The Bobcats would cut the lead to three three times, the last time with 5:38 left on a layup by Lampkins to made the score 52-49.
- CMU would take a six-point lead on a layup by Presley Hudson to give Central Michigan the 56-50 lead with 4:18 left.
- Layups by Lampkins and Boesinger would cut the lead to 56-54 with 2:26 left in the game.
- With 23 seconds left CMU would go up 58-54 on two made free throws.
- With 14 seconds left, Lampkins would drain a three-pointer to cut the lead to one, making the score 58-57.
- CMU would make two more free throws to go up 60-57 with 12 seconds left.
- The Bobcats would once again cut the CMU lead down to one on a made layup from Lampkins, making the score 60-59 with nine seconds left.
- However, thatâs as close as the Bobcats would get and CMU would make four-straight free throws to come away with the 64-59 victory.
- Leading all scorers was Lampkins who had 24 points, six rebounds, five assists, one block and one steal.
- Boesinger added a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Agler added 11 points, one assist and one steal for the Bobcats while going 3-of-7 from three-point range.
- Karlis added 12 rebounds for the Bobcats.
- Overall the Bobcats shot 23-of-63 (.365) from the field, 8-of-27 (.296) from three-point range and 5-of-9 (.556) from the free throw line.
- Ohio grabbed 42 boards, dished out 10 assists, had four blocks and four steals.
- The Bobcats forced CMU to turn the ball over seven times and scored five points off of them.
- Ohio scored 28 points in the paint and12 second chance points.
- Leading CMU was Moore who had 18 points and six rebounds.
- Hudson scored 13 points, Breen added 10 and Frost also scored 13 points while also grabbing 14 rebounds.
- CMU was 22-of-59 (.373) from the field, 4-of-19 (.211) from three-point range and 16-of-16 from the free throw line.
- CMU grabbed 35 rebounds, dished out eight assists, had have blocks and six steals.
- CMU forced the Bobcats to turn the ball over 12 times and scored 12 points off of them.
- The score was tied six times and the lead changed eight times.
Beyond the Boxscore:
- With her 24 points, Quiera Lampkins is now third all-time in scoring in Ohio history. She now needs 183 to move into second all-time.
- Lampkins scored 15 points in the fourth quarter.
- Hannah Boesinger had a double-double for the first time this season. Her 10 rebounds is a season high.
- CMU now leads the all-time series, 32-30.
- Ohio is now 16-5 overall and 7-3 in MAC play.
- Ohio has now outrebounded its opponents for the fourth time in its last five games.
- Kelly Karlis grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds.
- Lampkins has scored in double figures for 16 straight games.
"They all played their heart out today. Kiki scored the ball little bit more than some of the other kids. Central Michigan is a really good team and we played them really well, I'm really pleased with our effort. We didn't really shoot the ball quite as well and I thought we had some defensive lapses, but this was a great effort and we'll see them again in a couple of weeks and we'll do a better job then." â Head Coach Bob Boldon
"I think with Jasmine out they've collectively stepped up and have done a lot of things to help each other out. It's a tough loss and we knew it was going to be a tough game with them coming off a couple losses on the road and then have a home game. You knew you were going to get a great effort from them." â Head Coach Bob Boldon
The Bobcats return to Athens for a big matchup against MAC West opponent, Toledo. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. and will follow the Ohio menâs basketball game at noon.