Score: Ohio 87, Thomas More 50
Location: The Convocation Center - Athens, Ohio
The Short Story: The Ohio women's basketball team opened up #HoopsFest16 with an exhibition victory against Thomas More, downing the Saints 87-50 Saturday (Nov. 5) at the Convocation Center. Five Bobcats had double figures in points while Ohio knocked down 10 three-pointers.
OHIO STARTERS: #2 Katie Barker, #10 Dominique Doseck, #12 Yamonie Jenkins, #15 Jasmine Weatherspoon, #22 Hannah Boesinger
THOMAS MORESTARTERS: #2 Kirsten Paul, #14 Nikki Kiernan, #11 Abby Owings, #24 Madison Temple, #1 Michaela Ware
How It Happened:
- Ohioâs first 10 points came from four different Bobcats.
- The Saints had eight turnovers in the first period.
- The Bobcats scored 15 unanswered points in the second quarter and held the Saints to seven total points in the period.
- Ohio went 11-of-12 from beyond the arc in the second quarter.
- Ohio lead by as many as 21 points in the second quarter.
- Ohio led Thomas More by a 48-27 at the half. The Bobcats shot 82.4 percent from the free throw line and Weatherspoon lead the game with 14 points.
- Boesinger had 10 points in the half and Jenkins had nine.
- Thomas More recorded 14 turnovers.
- After three quarters, Ohio held a 71- 40 lead.
- In the third quarter, Thomas More went 4-of-11 (36.4 percent) from the field, while Ohio went 7-of-14 (50 percent).
- Ohio outscored Thomas More 16-10 in the fourth quarter en route to an 87-50 victory.
- Weatherspoon led the Bobcats with 21 points, Jenkins added 12, redshirt sophomore forward, Kelly Karlis had 11 and Doseck and Boesinger both scored 10.
- In her first game in an Ohio uniform, junior guard Taylor Agler recorded four points and two assists.
- Ohio shot 29-of-63 of (46 percent) from the field and 10-of-31 (32.3 percent) from three-point range.
- The Bobcats limited Thomas More to 20-48 (41.7 percent) from the field and 5-of-17 (29.4 percent) from beyond the arc.
- Ohio out-rebounded Thomas More by a 36-31 margin.
- The Saints turned the ball over 26 times, while Ohio had 15 turnovers.
- Ohio never trailed during the game.
- The Bobcat bench added 31 points for Ohio
- Ohio also scored 28 points off of Thomas More turnovers.
- Ohio scored 17 points off of offensive rebounds and added 20 second chance points.
- Thomas More scored 22 points off the bench and added 16 points off of turnovers.
- The Saints had four second chance points and 10 points off of offensive rebounds.
Head Coach Bob Boldon:
âI think thatâs a step in the right direction. Anything you do this week, this month, is simply a step. You hope you just keep stepping in the right direction and that you don't take any steps backwards.â
The Bobcats open up the regular season slate with a non-conference tilt against Big South opponent High Point in High Point N.C. Sunday (Nov. 13). Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.