$restriction.code /sports/wsoc/2019-20/releases/20190915u6t4ii

Ohio Soccer Falls to Ohio State on the Road

Ohio Soccer Falls to Ohio State on the Road

FOLLOW OHIO SOCCER: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram  

PDF Boxscore 

COLUMBUS, Ohio –The Ohio soccer team (5-2-0) continued action on Sunday evening (Sept. 15), falling to Ohio State (2-4-1), 3-1, at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. 

"Tonight was a great opportunity to play a very good Ohio State team," Head coach Aaron Rodgers said. "I'm very proud of how we played strong stayed true to our style. We were up a against a team that showed more physicality and speed that we have seen so far. I know we are a much better team for putting ourselves in these games."

Ohio State got the first attempt of the game just seconds after first touch, forcing junior keeper Sydney Malham (Nashville, Tenn.) to make the save. 

Senior Courtney Daugerdas (Libertyville, Ill.) got the first shot for the Bobcats in the third minute, but the Buckeyes put on the pressure, recording another shot in the fifth minute. Moments later, Ohio State took advantage, scoring on a goal by Meghan Kammerdeiner, giving OSU the 1-0 lead in the sixth minute. 

After the Ohio State goal, the Buckeyes got another shot off. The Bobcats then put on the pressure. First, sophomore Abby Townsend (Powell, Ohio) recorded a shot in the eighth minute. Moments later, she fired another shot at the net and it was saved by the OSU keeper. 

Moments later, sophomore Olivia Sensky (Powell, Ohio) recorded a shot of her own in the 12th minute, followed by two attempts from senior Alivia Milesky (Plain City, Ohio), the first in the 14th minute and the second in the 17th minute, which forced the Ohio State keeper to make another save. 

After Milesky recorded another shot that was saved by the OSU keeper in the 19th minute, Ohio State added another goal in the 24th minute, on a goal from Marissa Birzon, putting the Buckeyes up 2-0. 

After Milesky recorded another shot in the 28th minute, followed by an OSU attempt in the 38th minute. Freshman Heather McGuire (Hamilton, Ohio) got the final attempt of the half, however the ball would go wide left, sending the game to the half with the Bobcats trailing 2-0. 

At the half, the Bobcats and Buckeyes were even with eight shots apiece, while Ohio State had seven on goal, compared to the Bobcats' three. 

Ohio State opened the second half on fire, recording the first three shots of the game, including two that forced Malham to make a save. The pressure paid off when in the 55th minute, Kayla Fischer scored to put Ohio State up 3-0. 

The Bobcats finally struck in the 60th minute when Milesky scored off an assist from Sensky, cutting the Ohio State lead to 3-1. 

After the Milesky goal, the Bobcats and Buckeyes traded attempts, with OSU getting one in the 73rd minute, followed by an attempt in the 79th minute by senior Sydney Leckie (Medina, Ohio). 

Ohio State took a penalty kick with 30 seconds left in regulation, however, Malham would hold steady and make the save, keeping the score at 3-1, which would ultimately be the final. 

Overall, Ohio State outshot the Bobcats, 18-10, with 12 of their shots on goal, compared to the Bobcats four. OSU also took nine corner kicks to the Bobcats' two. 

Individually, Milesky led the way with one goal on five shots, with two on goal. Sensky recorded one shot with an assist, while Daugerdas, Leckie, Townsend and McGuire all recorded one shot. 

In net, Malham allowed three goals and made nine saves in 12 attempts in all 90 minutes on the pitch. 

Up next, the Bobcats wrap up non-conference play on Friday, Sept. 20 when they head to Washington, D.C. to take on Georgetown. First touch is set for 4 p.m.