$restriction.code /sports/wsoc/recaps/081916aab.html

@OhioWSoccer Falls in OT to Butler, 2-1

@OhioWSoccer Falls in OT to Butler, 2-1
Aug. 19, 2016

Final Stats

PDF Boxscore

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The Ohio women’s soccer team opened up the 2016 regular season on Friday night (Aug. 19), falling in a heartbreaker to Butler, 2-1, in the first overtime.

“It was a wonderful first game for us,” head coach Aaron Rodgers said. “To play a home opener at a team who is the defending Big East Champions and returning nine starters, it was a wonderful test for us. We battled extremely hard and showed a lot of character for our players to be down 1-0 at halftime and to listen to the adjustments that the coaching staff made at half. And for the players to buy into those changes and adjust. We came out and scored a goal within the first five minutes of the second half. It was a wonderful goal. Then we battled hard and got some chances in a very even game.”

After a 30-minute lightening delay, the Bobcats and Bulldogs finally got underway. In the sixth minute, Ohio recorded the first shot of the game, when Alivia Milesky (Plain City, Ohio) forced the Butler keeper to make a save.

Butler would strike first in the 14th minute when Serina Kashimoto scored on a penalty kick, putting the Bulldogs up 1-0.

In the 21st minute, Butler’s Jamison Midgley headed the ball and forced Vanessa Cordoba (Bogota, Cundinamarca, Colombia), the Ohio keeper, to make the save.

The Bobcats would respond with a shot of their own in the 23rd minute when Sydney Leckie (Medina, Ohio) fired the ball high.

After not much action, the Bobcats would put pressure on at the end of the first half. In the 43rd minute, Leckie would get her second shot of the game that would be blocked. A little over a minute later, Allie Curry (Fairfield, Ohio) would get a shot off that would force the Butler keeper to make her second save of the game.

Even with the offensive surge at the end of the half, the Bobcats would enter halftime trailing 1-0. Ohio registered four shots, two on goal in the first half.

The Bobcats entered the second half and immediately put to use the halftime adjustments, with Katie McCurley (Lake Zurich, Ill.) getting the equalizer off a punch out and then beating the Butler keeper to the left side. McCurley’s goal was the first of her career.

“I think it shows the depth of the squad,” Rodgers said. “It shows the unity of this squad that people are ready to go in and play. Katie [McCurley] had some rough luck over the last two seasons with injuries. We know she’s a quality player, she just had to get to 100 percent. She went into the game and played very, very well and scored a fantastic goal.“

With the game tied at 1-1, Butler would draw three-straight corner kicks in the 57th minute, but would not capitalize. Then in the 64th minute, Curry would register her second shot of the game, pushing it wide.

After Curry’s shot, the offense on both sides slowed down, however Butler would make a last stitch effort to end the game in regulation, getting two shots off in the final two minutes, however after 90 minutes, the game would be tied at 1-1.

In regulation, the Bobcats registered six total shots with three on goal. They would also record four saves and take two corner kicks. Butler would finish the first 90 minutes with 11 total shots, five of them on goal. They would record two saves and take nine corner shots.

The Bobcats would get the first shot off in extra time, with Curry registering the shot that would be blocked in the 91st minute.

Remi Eades (New Albany, Ohio) would get another shot off less than a minute later and thirty seconds after that, McCurley would fire a shot off of a corner kick that would go high.

Then in the 99th minute, Butler would come through when Breann Pempek scored on a straight-away, beating the keeper to the left side. The goal would give the Bulldog the 20- overtime victory.

Overall, Ohio would register nine shots, with three on goal. Curry had three shots, with one on goal and McCurley registered two shots, with one on goal and one goal. Leckie would also register two shots while Eades and Alivia Milesky would both record one shot.

Starting goalkeeper, Cordoba, would allow two goals while registering five saves in 99 minutes of action.

“We can take a lot away from that game, knowing we compete with a top team in the country on their home field,” Rodgers said. “It hurts to lose, but we will learn from it and be ready to play at home on Sunday.”

The Bobcats return to Athens on Sunday, Aug. 21 for the home opener against Dayton. First touch is set for 2 p.m. at Chessa Field.