$restriction.code /sports/wsoc/recaps/093016aab.html

@OhioWSoccer Falls to Western Michigan, 2-0

@OhioWSoccer Falls to Western Michigan, 2-0

Sept. 30, 2016

Final Stats

PDF Box Score

– The Ohio women’s soccer team (2-7-1, 0-3 MAC) returned to Athens on Friday (Sept. 30) for some Mind-American Conference action, falling to Western Michigan (8-3-0, 2-1 MAC) by the final of 2-0.

“First of all, Western Michigan’s a really good team,” head coach Aaron Rodgers said. “They won our league two of the last three years. We knew that if you let them get on the front foot early, it's going to be really difficult. So we just talked at halftime about tactical things, but it wasn't anything super magical, it was more of our effort and our energy out there and our willingness to battle a little bit more and win first balls. Play quicker, we had to play quicker, we had to have a little quicker movement. You know, tactically, we talked about playing in behind their outside backs a little bit more, which we did and we started to create some chances from that.”

Western Michigan opened the game with the first three shots of the game, with its best chance coming in the sixth minute when keeper Erin Beurket (Milford, Ohio) was forced to make a diving save to her right side.

The Broncos would strike first in the 24th minute when Tiffany Buckler scored off a rebound into the bottom right corner, giving Western Michigan a 1-0 lead.

Remi Eades (New Albany, Ohio) would get the first shot for Ohio in the 22nd minute when Eades would get in a one-on-one match up with a WMU defender and would fire a powerful kick to the net, forcing the Bronco keeper to make a save.

The Broncos would get two more shots, with Beurket making another save in the 24th minute. In the 38th minute, Western Michigan would add another goal when Buckler would score with a chip shot over Beurket into the upper right corner, giving the Broncos a 2-0 lead.

Ohio would enter the half trailing 2-0 with WMU outshooting the Bobcats 15-1 and Beurket making six saves in the first half.

Western Michigan would start the second half off with the first shot, which would be saved by keeper Taylor Smith (Uniontown, Ohio), who entered the game at the start of the half. WMU would get the next three shots, forcing Smith to make three more saves entering the 56th minute.

Ohio’s first shot of the half would come in the 59th minute when Courtney Daugerdas (Libertyville, Ill.) would get free into the open field and force the Bronco keeper to make a save.

Ohio would register the next shot of the game in the 73rd minute when Sydney Leckie (Medina, Ohio) would beat the defender down the middle and take a shot from the left side of the net, forcing the WMU keeper to make another save.

The Bobcats would register their third corner kick in the 76th minute, which would result in Mollie Whitacre (Perrysburg, Ohio) getting a shot off, but it would go wide.

Leckie would register the final shot of the game for the Bobcats, when in the 89th minute she would force the WMU keeper to make a save from the right side once again. However, the Bobcats would run out of time and the Broncos would come away with the 2-0 win.

Overall, The Bobcats registered five shots with four of them on goal. Eades, Whitacre, and Daugerdas would register one shot, while Leckie would record two shots, both of them on goal.

In goal, Beurket would play 45 minutes, allowing two goals and register six saves. Smith would enter the game to start of the second half and would not allow a goal in 45 minutes of play. She also registered four saves.

“It was really just an energy thing,” Rodgers said. “We were very flat in the first half, but we came back really strong in the second half and we talked about it at the end of the game. We just have to put those two halves together and if we do that against one of the best teams in the league and we’re right there. We’ve got to make that change for Sunday.”

The Bobcats return to action Sunday, Oct. 2 when they take on Northern Illinois. First touch is set for 1 p.m. at Chessa Field.