$restriction.code /sports/wsoc/recaps/100616aaa.html

@OhioWSoccer Takes Buffalo to Double OT; falls 2-1

@OhioWSoccer Takes Buffalo to Double OT; falls 2-1

Oct. 6, 2016

Final Stats

PDF Boxscore 

BUFFALO, N.Y. – The Ohio women’s soccer team took Buffalo into double overtime on Thursday night (Oct. 6), falling to its Mid-American Conference East foe, 2-1.

“We fought so hard tonight and this loss is extremely difficult to take,” head coach Aaron Rodgers said. “We did everything to deserve to win. I am so proud of the team effort. We have had wonderful spirit all season and I know we are going to be ready to compete hard on Sunday.”

In the fourth minute, Buffalo would get the first shot of the game, which was blocked by the Bobcat defense before it would get to the goal.

Ohio would get their first corner kick of the game in the sixth minute, which would be taken by Mollie Whitacre (Perrysburg, Ohio); however, the Bobcats would not be able to score on that set piece.

Buffalo would take an early lead in the 15th minute, when Celina Carrero would score when she received the cross and put it into the right corner. Buffalo would get another shot moments later, but it would go wide.

Bryce Hueber (Cincinnati, Ohio) would get the first shot for the Bobcats in the 25th minute, which was blocked by the UB defense.

Buffalo would register the next three shots in the 31st and 32nd minute, one that was blocked and two that would go high. UB would get another shot off in the 33rd minute, that keeper Taylor Smith (Uniontown, Ohio) would save.

In the 37th minute, Hannah Jaggers (Taylorsville, Ky.) would register Ohio’s second shot of the game, which would go wide of the goal. The Bobcats would get the next two shots off. The first shot came in the 41st minute when a ball was saved off of Hueber’s foot. Allie Curry (Fairfield, Ohio) followed that up moments later with another shot that would go wide.

The Bulls would register a corner kick at the end of the half, but nothing would come of it, and Ohio would enter halftime trailing 1-0.

In the first half, UB would outshoot Ohio 8-5, with the Bulls getting two shots on goal compared to the Bobcats’ one.

Smith would allow one goal on two shots in 45 minutes of action.

The Bobcats entered the second half on fire, registering the first two shots of the half, with Jaggers getting her shot blocked in the 48th minute and Hueber following up by getting her own shot blocked in the 49th minute.

The offensive outburst would pay off when a minute later, Curry would bicycle kick the ball into the left corner of the net, tying the game at 1-1 in the 50th minute. The goal was Curry’s second of the season.

Buffalo would register their first shot of the half in the 56th minute, a ball that would be blocked by the Ohio defense.

Hueber would register her fourth shot of the game in the 59th minute, but the UB keeper would be able to make the save.

Remi Eades (New Albany, Ohio) would enter the game in the second half and register the Bobcats’ next three shots, one in the 64th minute that would go wide, one in the 71st minute that would be blocked and one in the 72nd minute that would once again go wide of the net.

Buffalo would register its second shot of the half in the 68th minute on a ball that would be blocked by the Ohio defense, keeping the game tied at 1-1.

In the 77th minute, Buffalo would register a shot, forcing Smith to make a save.

For Ohio, Alexis Milesky (Plain City, Ohio) would register her first shot of the game in the 87th minute, forcing the UB keeper to make another save. Milesky’s shot would be the last of regulation, and Ohio and UB would end regulation tied at 1-1.

Through the first 90 minutes of action, Ohio outshot the Bulls, 13-11 and registered four shots on goal compared to Buffalo’s three.

In net, Smith would allow one goal and make three saves in her first 90 minutes of play, including a scoreless second half.

The Bobcats and Buffalo would trade fouls to start the first overtime, with Eades registering the first shot in the 97th minute, which would be saved by the UB goal keeper. Hueber would get the next shot of the period in the 99th minute, but it would go wide of the goal.

That would be all the offensive action of the first overtime, and Ohio and Buffalo would remain tied at 1-1 after the first 10 minutes.

It would take a little over four minutes into the second overtime for the game to be decided when in the 105th minute, Carissima Cutrona would score a header goal off the corner kick, giving UB the 2-1 win.

Overall, Ohio outshot UB 15-12, with Hueber leading the way with six shots, two of them on goal. Eades would register four shots, with one on net. Jaggers would register two shots, as would Curry who would record Ohio’s lone goal. Alexis Milesky would also record one shot, with it being on goal.

In net, Smith would allow two goals in 104 minutes of action, making two saves on four shots faces.

Ohio returns to action on Sunday, Oct. 9 when the Bobcats host Akron. First touch is set for 1 p.m. at Chessa Field.